Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store Overcharge Policies

Store Overcharge Policies

A large supermarket in my area overcharges more often than any store I've ever been in. Not sure on policy here but it's name starts with an S.
    It's always an overcharge never an undercharge, so I wonder if it's intentional. Many people must get overcharged often and it adds up. It's so consistent I finally complained to the state regulators and sent a copy to the stores main office.
    I got an apology email from the store saying:

At S------, we guarantee the accuracy of our prices. If the price charged is higher than our lowest advertised price and our lowest advertised price is less than $5, we will give you the item free. If the price charged is higher than our lowest advertised price and the lowest advertised price for the item is $5 or more, we will sell the item at the lowest advertised price and give you a $5 S------ gift card. Limit one free item or one gift card per transaction.

Now it's more tolerable when they overcharge. Sometimes when I get the free item they say "sorry we'll post the correct price immediately". I've checked and an hour or day later I get the same item free again because they still have the lower price posted!

They don't have this policy posted anywhere in the store. In fact most employees don't know about it or pretend not to know.

Anyone know of similar store policies at other stores?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

If they are scanning the bar codes they are over charging everyone. What makes you say they are overcharging? Are you saying the price does not match the price on the shelf? If so they must sell it to you at the price on the sign or shelf.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yes, the price is often higher than the price on the shelf. In this case I insist they go by the store policy so I get it for free or a $5 gift card.
    - Henry Ford

I use to work for a large big box store.
    The grocery department alone had 4 or 5 full time people that did nothing but price changes.
    It was not unheard of for the corporate office to change prices on thousands of items each night. Although it is not intentional it is possible for the wrong price to be on an item. It can take many hours for the staff to get the new shelf labels up, old signs down and new signs up.
    What I see happen often is, Say the price changes on motor oil. The pricing department will go to Automotive department and change the price. But they are unaware that the manager put a display of SAE 30 motor oil in the Garden Department next to the lawn mowers. So that price does not get changed.
    We had an item in electronics that retailed for $249.00. The buyer told pricing to set the retail at $249. They entered it as $2.49. a few customers figured it out and cleaned us out and never said a word. So it works both ways.
    There are exceptions but most often the register is tied into the master pricing file. So the register is ringing the correct price. The problem is the shelf price is wrong.

We use to have a policy of giving the item to the customer if it did not ring at the posted price. The idea was to give the customer a reason to bring the problem to our attention so it could be corrected. But with the invention of texting it started to become a game with customers to find a problem item, text their friends to come and load up first before coming back for a refund.

If you want to see how bad people can rip you off, Open your own retail store and see what great length people go to for a deal.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-15-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Walmart used to give it to you for free if it was under 5.00 or so and 5.00 off if more. No idea if they still do that.
    Bill D

Many years ago, I lived in Northern Virginia, where most of the grocery stores belonged to a chain that started with S. It was around the time that stores in general were switching to bar code pricing and they advertised on TV and radio, that if the price at the register did not match the shelf, it was free. I have run into that problem at both Giant and Weiss here in central PA. I stopped at a Giant store on a thursday early morning (24 hr store) and the sale prices that went into effect at midnight Wednesday had not been programmed into the computer. Nearly all the sale I items I went there for had to be rung up by a manager with override authority. I had the sale ad with me to show the prices. At Weiss, the cashier said it happens almost daily with a few items. As soon as such a discrepancy shows up, they call it in to the home office so the computer geek can make the change in the program. Their price programs are updated every couple hours.

If it were to happen regularly like the OP says, it is probably something the state's consumer affairs office should be bringing charges about.

Why on earth would people not publicly say the name of the stores?

I've never paid attention to the store policies or the prices themselves, but recall a few years ago the state AG went after a store where they could show a consistent pattern of not actually loading sale prices into the computers. Apparently they sent people in to buy stuff and analyzed all the incorrect pricing. Then learned that they're just idiots, they were under-charging about as often as over-charging, because they'd also forget to change sale prices back to normal.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-16-2018 at 4:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Why on earth would people not publicly say the name of the stores?

I've never paid attention to the store policies or the prices themselves, but recall a few years ago the state AG went after a store where they could show a consistent pattern of not actually loading sale prices into the computers. Apparently they sent people in to buy stuff and analyzed all the incorrect pricing. Then learned that they're just idiots, they were under-charging about as often as over-charging, because they'd also forget to change sale prices back to normal.
    I wonder why they call big box lumber yards Borgs here when posters complain about them?

In this case it's all true based on my experiences. The store is Safeway.

I may have been undercharged once in 15 years, but I've been overcharged often. Often enough for me to contact my state's consumer affairs office. I'm honest at the cash register in all the places I go and point out undercharges. That's why this is unjust to me. For some mystery reason Safeway is the only store in town that consistently overcharges. It seems like most customers never check or do the math at the checkout and Safeway knows this and takes advantage of it.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-16-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    - Henry Ford

So you memorize the prices of everything in your cart? That's actually a fascinating ability. I'd never remember, even if I paid attention to start with.

So you memorize the prices of everything in your cart? That's actually a fascinating ability. I'd never remember, even if I paid attention to start with.
    Yes. Since it happened so often, I started going there only rarely for weekly specials.

Unfortunately most people probably trust the store. That's why I posted all this.
    - Henry Ford

I'm not sure on the trust thing. I don't trust them, yet simply don't care. I'd never pay attention to the prices for grocery items. High dollar items, sure, but not a head of lettuce.

I think VERY few people would be able to memorize 50 items' prices and check them at the register. Even if I wanted to, I'm sure I'd fail.

Blog Entries
    It actually isn't as difficult as you make it sound.

In my younger poorer days one of my regular tactics was to keep a running total in my head while shopping. Even with items in the produce department being sold by the pound. My on the fly total was never off more than a few cents. This was helpful for me to know how much could be purchased with the cash in pocket since this was in the days before credit cards and for me even having a checking account.

For Andrew in Northern Oregon, my suggestion is to shop at Fred Meyer as their prices are almost always lower than Safeway. For some items we will shop Winco or Grocery Outlet for better prices.

At Fred Meyer, in my experience, they will check a price if questioned at checkout. On a few occasions the checker has actually just taken my word for it and changed the price at the register. They have my loyalty most of the time, but when a few of my preferred items are priced higher than the competition my money is spent elsewhere. This isn't always true for a few cents per item, but on items where the difference amounts to a dollar or more when bought in the amounts we normally do when stocking up, it is then worth making an extra stop while we are in town.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Doing a running total is easy. Remembering that lettuce is $1.29 and spinach is $1.37 is not. I asked a couple people, because I'm curious, and nobody thinks they could remember more than maybe ten item prices. I'm fascinated by the ability to memorize what I assume is several dozen items (a normal shopping trip for me).

I look at the weekly specials online at all our local stores. All the stuff on our shopping list gets a price noted on the list if it's lowest.
    Safeway is rarely on the list.
    Safeway is good at making it harder to see the posted price at the scanner too. It's confused by having a membership price discount. When the item is scanned it doesn't always show the actual individual item price. The last $5 gift card I got was for only a 17 cent overcharge that I needed to do math on to see it.

I can easily afford to waste money on overcharges, but not everyone can. It happened so often I started warning friends.
    Safeway knows about, say's they'll change it, but it consistently happens here. I'm happy to point it out and get the $5 and inform people.
    - Henry Ford

Yes, there are always many brands to pick from and usually one of them is on sale. I pick the one on sale and the price usually sticks in my head.

Like the OP, I used to shop at a store that starts with an "S" and ends with "afeway". One particular store was horrible with mismatched prices, so I started shopping elsewhere for about 10 years.
    Steve