Thread: Best material to lay under thin stock to absorb the beam?

Best material to lay under thin stock to absorb the beam?

I need to cut very thin plastic on a semi-regular basis, and it needs to be clamped down to a flat surface. It comes in rolls and holds the curve quite a bit; my usual "use some weights" trick doesn't work.

I used MDF to cut some last night and it worked fine for cutting, but the MDF "goo" deposited onto the plastic and required a lot of cleaning to get it out of the nooks and crannies. I need something that'll absorb the beam with little or no outgassing.

My best guesses are glass or anodized aluminum. Any thoughts on those? Glass will absorb it but I worry about thermal cracking if I use it a bunch. Theoretically not a ton of beam is making it through the material but there will always be a small amount.

anodized aluminum will work really well, glass probably not as well - cracking, as you mentioned, would be a concern of mine.

edit: if the design isn't too terribly intricate you could use transfer tape to reduce, or eliminate, the goo.

How are you holding it down if not with weights?
    How thin is thin?
    How large a piece are you cutting?

Depending on the answers, what will work great is water...
    I cut this thin mylar while it was floating on water in a bake pan...
    mylar1.jpgmylar2.jpg

You don't necessarily need to float it, if you use an aluminum plate as a 'backstop', try spraying the plate down with water as a buffer -- add a titch of dishsoap to the water to break its surface tension, makes it more wet... A soaked paper towel might work, but the paper burn may leave deposits, but maybe not, just depends!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Right now I'm holding it down with a piece of MDF with windows around the area to cut. The MDF is screwed to another backer piece of MDF. The laser cuts through the window.

Kev I love the water idea! Unfortunately this film is about 0.020" thick and super curly, so it needs a positive "lock" to hold it down to something. A wet paper towel behind it might work wonders though, I hadn't thought of that.

The parts themselves are very small- think "fingernail" sized.

I'm going to try screwing my "frame" down over an aluminum panel next. I found a scrap one sitting around that should work pretty well.

There's a sticky self-healing mat that some use:

https://www.johnsonplastics.com/tape...-hold-down-mat

sandblasted aluminium sheet, works flawlessly, just blast with a 40 to 60 grit
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming you have a solid table? I've a honeycomb and with the exception of acrylic, I've not had anything flash back and cause issue. I cut out a bunch of plywood hold down fingers for curly stuff. Magnets where I could use them also.... Water is intriguing.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

That rubber mat that is naturally sticky, and made for lasering on, is great.
    The piece I have is 24" x 12", and was worth about $200 some years ago.
    But you can put a piece of paper on it, and laser away.

Another way it to use aerosol spray glue, on shiny cardboard. That'll hold a floppy flimsy substrate, but might burn itself.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Thanks for the help all, the anodized aluminum worked great. I couldn't just use the honeycomb or a solid table as I needed to drive screws into it to hold down the plastic with my "stencil clamp". Here's a pic I took with the MDF backer:

(It's not actually that bowed, I think I jiggled my camera or something when I took the pic!)

The stencil trick worked fine but the MDF was flashing back, so adding the aluminum sheet in there soaked the beam after the plastic just fine. You can see in the pic above the black spots along the cut lines; that was MDF soot/goo flashing back onto the plastic. Adding an aluminum layer totally fixed the problem but I didn't think to take a pic of that one.

typical lens fisheye effect

Those screws you're using are why I had one of my customers make me up a bunch of these steel bars for weight and shim use- I have a dozen of each, the big ones are 3/4" thick x 1-3/4" wide x 12" long, the small ones are 1/2" x 1" x 12" long, they were cut from (I guess) "premium" bar stock, because they're measurements are dead on- 4 of the large ones add up to exactly 7" wide, very accurate for spacer use... They're heavy enough to eliminate the need for screws in most cases... Right now I'm doing Hydroflasks and SIC cups-tapered- in the GCC. To account for the cup angle I raise the rotary tailstock 2", and I put 2ea of the large bars at both ends to keep it in place- Done hundreds of cups, and in normal use the rotary doesn't budge...

Of course, in use the lens needs to be able to pass over them, but you're not using a cone and I'd bet a pair of my big bars would hold that fixture down just fine with about 1/4" lens clearance...

steelbars.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've used similar "heavy things sitting around" in the past- I wish I had some bars like that!

I actually had to use a special purpose jig on this one, as holding around the edges alone didn't work. Initial attempts showed that the plastic expanded around the cut area slightly, and bulged out the middle of the plastic, getting me all kinds of trouble.

I do have a replacement head and gantry that's going on the laser "one of these days" but I need to find some free time first