Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knew Concepts coping saw - New Handle

Jim, below is a re-post of one I made on the power tool forum a few weeks ago. It was entitled "Improving clamp handles". Try it where it is needed. I think that you will find it more convenient than a nitrile glove, which is a temporary fix that you need to put on and take off ....

I have had a bunch of old Bessey parallel clamps forever. About a year ago I purchased a few of the Bessey Revo. What I came to appreciate about the Revo are the soft grips - they are so easy to tighten and loosen. By comparison, the red-painted wooden grips of the old Besseys I have are slippery, which can be quite frustrating.

I tried a latex spray on the painted handles, but it was not durable and peeled off.

I recalled a thick silicon tape I had used to repair pipes. It seals by welding to itself.

Wrapped around the handle, it takes about an hour to become permanent. It is very grippy and comfortable. A definite upgrade for any clamp handle ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, below is a re-post of one I made on the power tool forum a few weeks ago. It was entitled "Improving clamp handles". Try it where it is needed. I think that you will find it more convenient than a nitrile glove, which is a temporary fix that you need to put on and take off ....

I have had a bunch of old Bessey parallel clamps forever. About a year ago I purchased a few of the Bessey Revo. What I came to appreciate about the Revo are the soft grips - they are so easy to tighten and loosen. By comparison, the red-painted wooden grips of the old Besseys I have are slippery, which can be quite frustrating.

I tried a latex spray on the painted handles, but it was not durable and peeled off.

I recalled a thick silicon tape I had used to repair pipes. It seals by welding to itself.

Wrapped around the handle, it takes about an hour to become permanent. It is very grippy and comfortable. A definite upgrade for any clamp handle ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek I saw that post. In order for that to be effective I would need to do nearly every too I own. My grip is very much confined to the ball of my thumb and the palm. Wish there was something the docs could do. PT is about it.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

Jim I know your pain, I have to stretch my hands pretty routinely if the grip/handle is not perfect. I’m not sure the root cause in my case. I’m very happy when I can go days without hand pain, the more grips I perfect the better.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

My hands are usually pretty tough, but the one tool that gives me problems is my eclipse coping saw.

That handle is very nice.

Ok, Derek, a little good natured ribbing here. When I first started reading your post, I was sure when I got to the picture I would see a replacement handle of some sort of exotic hardward, hand checkered like a gun stock forearm. But I do appreciate the tape idea.

No problem, Phil.

I did post a replacement handle earlier. I was in two minds whether to post the tape as it was not quite in tune with the theme of this thread.

Regards from Perth

Derek