Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knew Concepts coping saw - New Handle

Blog Entries

Knew Concepts coping saw - New Handle

Rather than learning to cope with hand pain (Is it still unfunny if I laugh at my own jokes ), I decided it was time to replace the handle on this saw. For some reason it just doesn't jive with my hands and I get a painful cramp when using the stock handle. My hands are pained rather easily so I don't fault the original for that, but for me I needed something else.

The ferrule started life as a compression fitting. I retained the internal threaded portion and simply threaded the handle and provided a step for the material to compress at the top of the fitting. I turned the brass along with the handle, the material doesn't turn very well since it is a very hard brass but I made due.

The handle is cherry, which would normally be an odd choice for a handle but some unknown reason this particular cherry cuts like granite.

It's not on permanent like just yet, I dont actually own epoxy so I have to go buy some.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Good stuff Brian. Thanks for the image. I may do one for my KC when it arrives.
    So the handle will be epoxied onto the saw?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Thank you! I plan to, just a press fit for now.

I replaced the handle on my KC fret saw. Here's how I did it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I replaced the handle on my KC fret saw. Here's how I did it.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I read that carefully. I appreciate the tutorial!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's very nicely done, Brian. I like that Cherry. It is a warm look.

Similar to mine - just a slightly longer "toe" (not sure what to call it ) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek, yours is what I had in mind, especially the suggestion to make it two-handed. Appreciate the inspiration.

Well I like yours better

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Much appreciated!!

great job Brian! I will eventually get around to replacing the handles on my saws (at least once I figure out whether there is really something wrong with my fret saw or whether it is simply user error). When you get around to fixing it to the saw are you going to drill like Mike and use the rolled pin or epoxy or ??

The elegance of your sense of humor had me laughing along with you. Also, I love the brass ferrule turned in place.

Nice! (adding in more words because my post was too short to submit)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents! I’m not much on epoxy but I think it will do fine here. Compression fit alone has been enough actually but I think it will get loose in the summer.

Mine is old school concept all the way but the handle is self made and holds well simply by friction, no pin, no glue epoxy or otherwise.P3151346.jpg
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 03-16-2018 at 7:35 PM.

Good looking handle Brian. I have problems with my thumbs hurting and when it starts I have to stop. I asked for glove suggestions on this forum and got a few. I can't remember who suggested Atlas 370 nitriles. I bought some almost a year ago and forced myself to put them on when I knew I was going to be gripping. At first it didn't seem to make much difference. After a while I started to notice they did make a difference. Now it's almost automatic. I put them on. It's not a miracle thing but it does help. They do tend to get hot so I take them off when I dont feel I need them. It's better then having to just give up and lay the tools down because of the pain.
    Jim