Thread: Flying drawer

Flying drawer

Every so often my table saw grabs something out of my hands. I have enough safety precautions in place to protect me but the workpiece sometimes suffers. And I get a wakeup call.

In this case a drawer 18" x 16" x 2" flew across the shop. It was a squinch too wide and I was pulling it thru the saw. Should have used a hand plane.

Definitely should not be pulling anything through a table saw...that’s just asking for it. Not sure if that’s what you meant, but it sounds like you are doing something very wrong.

Dan

I would have probably done it on a jointer or an edge sander. That being said, taking a hair off on the tablesaw shouldn't have been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I was pulling it thru the saw..
    There's your problem. I've trimmed drawers on the table saw a million times, but I don't ever pull through the blade-- I push!

I’ve never had my table saw “grab something out of my hands” (knock on wood). It sounds like you need to revisit some safety basics, and maybe buy a SawStop (as much as that pains me to say).

Blog Entries
    I used a jointer to do this. Even being careful, the end grain seemed to be 50/50 on whether or not it tore out a bit. But I was using a face piece, so no biggie.

Edit: Or you could just be smarter than me and make the drawer slide sides all long grain... why did I just know think about this?
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 03-15-2018 at 3:07 PM.

I hope you will expand on what exactly you were doing, as the original explanation sends shivers through many of us, but perhaps we are not understanding correctly...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Perhaps your fence is toed in or bowed?

John

Yikes, I hope you were not pulling it through. Always push, firm grip

In this order, you don't move to the next step until the previous has been achieved.

Push the material tight to deck

Push the material tight to the fence.

Push the material through the blade.

If you're climb cutting with a tablesaw, that's on the extreme end of skills. Not for most people, and certainly not for all materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Every so often my table saw grabs something out of my hands. I have enough safety precautions in place to protect me but the workpiece sometimes suffers. And I get a wakeup call.

In this case a drawer 18" x 16" x 2" flew across the shop. It was a squinch too wide and I was pulling it thru the saw. Should have used a hand plane.
    Too wide and maybe not square?

To me, the concerning issues is that this happens every once in awhile. It is not just a drawer that is a problem but the saw and the operator. I have not had a kick back in many many years.