Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

I've read and read but am still confused. I'm 72 yrs old and in 2016 I spent a semester at the local Vo-Tech CNC program. I'd been learning on my own for the previous 5 years and its was very helpful with one exception. The program they used, Solid Works, gave me LOTS of trouble and that's the only reason I didn't return for the 2nd"year/semester". Fast forward to the present and I'm really intrigued by everything you folks do and would like to give it a shot. Any input would be welcome. I've ordered a more robust computer with good graphics capability so the hardware is covered. I plan to build a 24 x 40 building very soon but if I could use the next 60 days to get past the initial shock of the software that would be good. I'll also mention that I've considered FS Lasers only because "supposedly" their software will "work" with anything you can print. OK I hope I'm not asking too much and wasting your time. I'll continue to read and perhaps a light will come on!

P.S. If Corel Draw is THE solution then which version? The money isn't the issue if that's what it takes.

Maybe you or others might laugh but I'm happy with Corel X3. I have a much newer version, and use it on one PC, only to backwards convert files if needed, to then edit in X3. Some newer palettes are useful, but X3 is fine. It also works well on our old Windows XP PCs.
    IF you can find it for sale, it'll be cheap!

Just don't get a student/home/academic version.
    Once you get any full version, and register it, you'll get future offers of very cheap full-version upgrades from Corel.
    That's perhaps somethng that those who might suggest the pirated version method won't ever see...

There WILL be a learning curve, and it can only be pushed through, not avoided...but Google, Youtube, and Lynda dot com are helpful. So are many books.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I use X6 but others say the 4 or 5 Version works for them. 3D programs, I used Fusion 360 but on a DSL internet connection and the constant updates it got tiresome. Purchased Punch http://www.punchcad.com/ 2D/3D Cad and found it easy to use.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Just so I'm clear....When you say Corel it's Corel Draw we're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    I've read and read but am still confused. I'm 72 yrs old and in 2016 I spent a semester at the local Vo-Tech CNC program. I'd been learning on my own for the previous 5 years and its was very helpful with one exception. The program they used, Solid Works, gave me LOTS of trouble and that's the only reason I didn't return for the 2nd"year/semester". Fast forward to the present and I'm really intrigued by everything you folks do and would like to give it a shot. Any input would be welcome. I've ordered a more robust computer with good graphics capability so the hardware is covered. I plan to build a 24 x 40 building very soon but if I could use the next 60 days to get past the initial shock of the software that would be good. I'll also mention that I've considered FS Lasers only because "supposedly" their software will "work" with anything you can print. OK I hope I'm not asking too much and wasting your time. I'll continue to read and perhaps a light will come on!

P.S. If Corel Draw is THE solution then which version? The money isn't the issue if that's what it takes.
    Corel Draw is the only solution. As for version? Why get anything less than the newest version? X7 (17) is the latest version and is incredibly stable on Windows 10, in my experience anyway, and gives you backward compatibility with other versions as well as the best import capability from other programs. Some people will say that they use X3, X4, X5, X6, etc., and don't see the need to upgrade - if it works for them that's great and there is no reason to upgrade, however, why buy old technology from the start? Go to corel.com, download X7, and get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Corel Draw is the only solution. As for version? Why get anything less than the newest version? X7 (17) is the latest version and is incredibly stable on Windows 10, in my experience anyway, and gives you backward compatibility with other versions as well as the best import capability from other programs. Some people will say that they use X3, X4, X5, X6, etc., and don't see the need to upgrade - if it works for them that's great and there is no reason to upgrade, however, why buy old technology from the start? Go to corel.com, download X7, and get to work!
    Thank you, I'll put that matter to rest And this is Corel "Draw" not Corel Draw "Graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    Thank you, I'll put that matter to rest And this is Corel "Draw" not Corel Draw "Graphics?
    Here you go:

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product...hptrack=mmcdgs

Thank you Gary! The new computer arrived today and I'll pick up a good sized monitor tomorrow and hopefully have things up and running early next week. Appreciate everyone's help!

Steve

I'm a little older than you and a large monitor has been awesome. Mine's a 24" and I've had it for several years. As I have the opportunity I'm going to buy another for at least my shipping pc. (I just scheduled cataract surgery for later this spring.)

There are a lot of Corel tutorials on the internet. Here's a link to some. http://www.coreldrawtips.com/videos-all
    Alex Galvez is my favorite instructor and he has tutorials on just about everything to do with Corel. The Graphics suite is what you should buy and you'll find that besides CorelDraw there are other good and useful features.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

monitors-- Back in December I got TWO of these---
    27mon.jpg
    HP 27" monitors, a steal at $129 each! Alas, the same guy is now selling the same ones for $199.. But I notice Best Buy has them for $149...

The thing is huge, the display is great, photos are great, highly recommend one!

note, they connect HDMI or VGA only- I had to buy a $5 adapter to work with one of those weird square plugs for one computer, but it was worth it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Mike, I picked up at 27" monitor,got things set up, and downloaded Corel on Saturday. The program itself offers little help and you answered my next question. I'll admit I'm more comfortable learning from a "book", go figure, but I guess I'll have to adapt. The ONLY thing good about that part is I'm probably 2-3 months out before my new building is complete so I'll how I feel about things then. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve

I'm a little older than you and a large monitor has been awesome. Mine's a 24" and I've had it for several years. As I have the opportunity I'm going to buy another for at least my shipping pc. (I just scheduled cataract surgery for later this spring.)

There are a lot of Corel tutorials on the internet. Here's a link to some. http://www.coreldrawtips.com/videos-all
    Alex Galvez is my favorite instructor and he has tutorials on just about everything to do with Corel. The Graphics suite is what you should buy and you'll find that besides CorelDraw there are other good and useful features.

Steve I am just a couple years older than you and have experience with 2D CAD AutoCAD since maybe 1992. I find it easier to work in CAD for projects that require dimensions that are exact. For everything else, Corel Draw. I am also a book learner but most of the books do not relate to what we are doing, but a good reference book is a must to look up problems or how to do. Videos are very good IF they relate to what you need to know. But that book is much faster than watching a 10 minute video to learn one thing.

Getting a workspace setup as a new project the size of your work table and then trial and error with that good reference book will be a big help. My reference book was the actual printed users manual from Corel Draw 9.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-19-2018 at 3:17 PM.

I just contacted Corel about a user's manual so should hear something back. Will see where that leads. It's good to know I'm not the only old f--t still trying to learn new stuff

Steve
    Unless you downloaded the trial offer you should have received the users manual in the download. Check the help tab.

Unlike Bill I find youtube to be the berries.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Don't get me wrong, videos are great for learning the software, But you still need a good reference book, or the user manual in Print.... not a PDF please! There is a business here in this town and I assume most places have them which will take a PDF file off your USB stick, print it out and put a cover and back on it in a loose binder, for a fee. Wither or not that fee is cheaper than just ordering the manual I do not know. You do need to bring in proof of ownership before they do the work.