Thread: Planer and overall project measurements

Planer and overall project measurements

How does a planer affect the overall measurements of a project?

For example, let's say I'm working on a cabinet that has an overall length of 53 1/4". There are 4 dividers and three "cavities" (not sure what you would call the space between the dividers). These three cavities are each 16 3/4" wide. I guess the formula would look something like this:

3/4" + 16 3/4" + 3/4" + 16 3/4" + 3/4" +16 3/4" + 3/4" = 53 1/4"

Since the thickness of the boards are 3/4" and obviously factor into the overall length, how would planing affect the length? Would I plane down first then take the final thickness and work off of that? If so, what if the dividers are different widths?

Math makes my head hurt. I hope my question makes sense. I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.

Of course, I could very well be overthinking this...

Blog Entries
    I will assume the dividers are going into dados. The length is the length. You cut the dados at the desired locations to fit the dividers. If the dividers are literally connecting short lengths like segmenting the back of a letter "E" then yes, mill the dividers, measure their finished thickness and use that dimension to subtract from the total desired height. Thinking about it that way does tend to make your head hurt though ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Let's go to an extreme and say you planed 1/4" from all your vertical boards. If you maintain the distance between the verticals your cabinet would be:

1/2" + 16 3/4" + 1/2" + 16 3/4" + 1/2" + 16 3/4" + 1/2" = 52.25

However; usually the horizontal member of the cabinet is one continuous piece and it would determine the overall length of the cabinet. Therefore, you would need to adjust the center to center distance of the center two vertical supports, changing the 16 3/4" dimension to 17 83/1000" The overall length of your cabinet would not change.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

[QUOTE=Justin Foley;2790228]How does a planer affect the overall measurements of a project?

QUOTE]

The size of the planer has no bearing on the size of the project.

The only thing that the size of the planer dictates is the size of the individual pieces.

If you have a 6 inch jointer and planer you make the individual pieces less than 6 inches wide. You can then glue as many of these pieces together to make whatever sized object you desire.

Regards, Rod.

You're overcomplicating it. My head was hurting, too. ;-)

Forget about all the math you will do your spacing from reality (actual size of parts). You can do all the math just perfect but what if your dividers planed down actually to 23/32" or 11/16"?

Just plane everything down to final thickness and lay out your project based on reality.

The way I would approach your example the only time I would use a ruler is to divide the spaces.

Determine the centers of the dividers, put the divider in place and make a scribe line on each side.

This determines the spacing and the dado width & off you go......

I agree with Roberts statement. You’re over complicating it.

Thanks, guys! I figured I was overcomplicating it, but better to get confirmation than run off and just start cutting and assembling!