Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are still using Oil Stones.

Who are still using Oil Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Me, JNAT's as well.

ken

I do. I like them a lot better than waterstones.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I am using ken’s suggestion of an India and Arkansas. Works well.

+1 on oil stones. I use an India, hard Arkansas, and a black Arkansas

What are you guys using to true up the Oil Stones? I've seen diamond plates and a whole assortment of things (SiC paper on Granite, etc.), but wondering what works best for this group of stones.

I have been using them for about a year and a half, since I moved to a shop with no running water.

My normal routine is fine india, soft arkansas, then translucent arkansas. I also have coarse india and coarse cystolon stones for heavy bevel work.

Norb, my stones were bought new and thankfully were flat. I do use diamond plates occasionally to condition the stones I want to keep fast-cutting (india and soft ark). This flattens to some extent, though I don't think they go out of flat very easily if you sharpen across the whole surface.

If I needed to true an out-of-flat arkansas stone I would not want to use a diamond stone because it would probably wear out during the process, and would take a long time. Loose SiC on glass, cast iron, or laminate sheets seems to be the best way to go for that job.

I occasionally use carborundum stones, mainly for coarse work, but I don't lube with oil -- I use honing fluid or most often soapy water. Thick soapy water does not disappear into the stone as fast.

Norb -- I flatten with an extra coarse diamond plate or another "sacrificial" carborundum stone. "Sacrificial" in quotes because the procedure actually flattens both stones.

Doug

I primarily use a Washita, then black Arkansas, for most blades/chisels. For the few A2 or PMV-11 steels I have, I use ceramic Spyderco's. I've settled into this system now for at least 3 to 4 years and works very well.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I currently use a vintage combination stone and a trans ark, with a strop loaded with Noxon metal polish for finishing. Gets most things plenty sharp for my needs though I do struggle a bit with A2 steel. My answer is to minimize use of that modern material.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I use up to a 600 grit oil stone.

Me too. India fine, Washita and translucent Arkansas. Plus a strop. I don't always use the ark, stuff gets pretty sharp on the Washita too.

Blog Entries
    Like I said on the other sharpening string,
    I use a diamond hone followed by stropping on rough rawhide leather charged with green stropping compound.
    See Paul Sellers blog.

I would use them more but the water stones are faster.

However I do use them on my carving gouges.

Only occasionally on chisels. Handy to keep it bench side. No water. Don't wait till its too dull, tho :-)

BTW many years ago I happened to work in an abattoir at the inspection station. The meat inspector kept his knife absolutely razor sharp and honed it on an oil stone but used soapy water. And it worked QUITE well, as Doug has alluded to.

I use a coarse, fine india bench stone, medium india stone, hard Arkansas, and then hard translucent Arkansas.