Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPE and the neanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Zach steps up and boldly speaks for the silent majority. Hoorah!

My take?
    - Hand tools: most often no PPE
    - Power tools: most often PPE best practices
    Then I feel there is no option other than to fulfill my democratic obligation P1020619.jpg

Pretty much what Zach said. I dont even have safety glasses or hearing protection in my hand tool shop. I really cannot see myself using it with almost any hand tools.

In my power tool shop I am more likely to, but it depends on what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    Then I feel there is no option other than to fulfill my democratic obligation
    Kevlar sock?

Hand tools - gloves with some solvents some of the time. Otherwise nothing in the hand tool shop. Power tools - hearing and eye most of the time. Have I occasionally gotten bit? yes, but mostly due to knowingly using sketchy technique, not due to lack of safety equipment. A job well done is not complete without a blood sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Kevlar sock?
    Oh, you got me, I must admit.
    But only because I was exercising a charitable restraint and cut the intended entry short.

I don't do much that anyone else hasn't mentioned but I'll add a couple fun facts:

1) You can damage your hearing with any exposure to something loud for a long period of time.

"OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for all workers for an 8 hour day. The OSHA standard uses a 5 dBA exchange rate. This means that when the noise level is increased by 5 dBA, the amount of time a person can be exposed to a certain noise level to receive the same dose is cut in half." i.e. you shouldn't be exposed to 100dB for more than 2 hours, 105dB for 1 hour, etc. Furthermore, the level of noise doesn't have to be loud enough to hurt your ears in order for it to cause damage. The length of exposure is important in addition to the level of noise.

Having worked a number of manual labor jobs I'd bet this one is neglected more often than not. I bet a lot of common power tools are louder than 100dB. Every table saw I've used sure as hell is.

2) VOC's and hazardous gases. Systemic exposure can increase the risk for all kinds of things from cancers to rheumatoid arthritis. I can't confirm this but I was also told that the more you are exposed to VOC's the more sensitive you become to them.

This is another thing that I see people neglecting all the time. People are in a rush to get their painting/finishing done and it's annoying to go drag out the respirator for what will only be a few minutes of spraying/brushing/etc. I admit it, I'm guilty of this too. But over the years it adds up. Same thing happens with sanding and dust masks.

When grinding: safety glasses with side shields and a face mask, and for anything over a short time period a dust mask, but this is done primarily at work, as my grinder at home is put away due to space limitations.

When mowing: safety glasses with side shields, dust mask, sturdy leather shoes, and hearing protection.

When using spray finishes or paint, solvents, epoxy if using a large amount, etc.: disposable gloves, but if they get soaked they get pitched and a new pair is put on. I do have chemical resistant gloves and wear them where there is a significant hazard. However for most spray finishes or paint, I go outside where there is plenty of fresh air.

On those rare occasions when I use my table saw: dust mask, hearing protection, and sometimes goggles. I don't know if this would come under the category of PPE, but it could be I think: I use a push stick the vast majority of the time.

A dust mask when sanding for any other than a very short time frame. This includes sanding wood or when using ultra fine sandpaper or Scotch-Brite to restore metal tools such as saws, chisels, or planes.

When working outside, as I do often on sawhorses and planks, I wear a broad brimmed hat and long sleeves to protect from sun burn.

When using my small MAPP gas type torch, I use a welding helmet with the special darkened eye protection.

When using power sanding equipment, or other high vibration power tools for other than a fairly short time, I wear gloves which are specifically made to damp vibration.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-15-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Only face protection when using my lathe (if that counts as a hand tool). Maybe breathing protection if turning exotic woods. Sometimes I wonder if I should use breathing protection/gloves when working on exotics, as I do come out feeling a little itchy and sniffly. Canvas shop apron helps, but also can work against you - I kept my marking knife in it until I squatted while wearing it one day and it created a deep, long gash in my thigh.

For using the table saw/planer/jointer/power tools - respirator, hearing protection, eye protection, the whole works (except for one or two cuts that sometimes I just do without donning safety gear, hoping this isn't the one time something goes wrong....)

I wear glasses and have calloused hands.

I wear shoes or boots, an apron occasionally if I feel the need, a hat, head phones so I can block some of the noise and listen to music, gloves if I am processing rough lumber or an open grain wood like oak. or if its cold. Or if I forget to take them off.

I rarely go further than that, but keep a face mask, welding goggles, tyvek suits, dust masks on hand just in case I do feel the need.

The best safety practice I follow is probably "don't work with dangerous equipment if you are too tired or distracted to do so." Since I do a lot of things by feel/eye that means I am in direct contact with either the tool or the wood most of the time, making it imperative that i keep my full attention on the work. (think about feeling for subtle differences along a piece of wood spinning at 3000 or so rpm for the extreme version of this. If you have a lathe, you know what I am talking about most likely.)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

This is why I love outdoors neander woodworking.

Fresh breeze = no real need for dust control as long as you're not next breathing right next to your board.
    Manual saw = dust particles likely aren't all that fine.
    Plane shavings = not much dust
    Dust collection = wind + a small brush/broom.
    Chisel/eggbeater/brace = not much dust
    scrapers = ditto.

Of course, I could die of silicosis sometime down the line...but I'd like to think it's because of my day job.

Proper Clothes and Steeltoe Boots are a given.

Handtools: Ocassionally Gloves

Powertools: Always Hearing Protection and if necessary Eye, Respiratory Protection and Gloves,