Thread: Waiting on Some Chisels (Tools from Japan)

Waiting on Some Chisels (Tools from Japan)

I've been lurking around here for a while and I saw a lot of great reviews and interactions with Stu from Tools from Japan. After doing my research I finally made the plunge on a set of Koyamaichi chisels back in December. Stu looked to be a regular here for a while, so I thought I'd ask if a 3 month wait was standard? I've emailed him, but according to his website it looks like he had some family issues. I didn't expect the chisels for a month or two, but going on 3 without any response is a little worrying. I'm probably over reacting and I don't mind the wait. I've purchased from him before and that was a smooth transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garza View Post
    I've been lurking around here for a while and I saw a lot of great reviews and interactions with Stu from Tools from Japan. After doing my research I finally made the plunge on a set of Koyamaichi chisels back in December. Stu looked to be a regular here for a while, so I thought I'd ask if a 3 month wait was standard? I've emailed him, but according to his website it looks like he had some family issues. I didn't expect the chisels for a month or two, but going on 3 without any response is a little worrying. I'm probably over reacting and I don't mind the wait. I've purchased from him before and that was a smooth transaction.
    That's definitely on the long side for him. With that said, I've had an order pending for several weeks and haven't heard anything, so it's not just you.

I'm in the same situation too ,emailed enquiring about order progress for no response. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Yup something is up. I have contacted him personally, no reply. In his defense he runs the shop himself. He will get back when he can.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Yup something is up. I have contacted him personally, no reply. In his defense he runs the shop himself. He will get back when he can.
    With all due respect, "when he can" is not really acceptable when a customer and his money have been parted, not at least in my opinion.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    With all due respect, "when he can" is not really acceptable when a customer and his money have been parted, not at least in my opinion.
    http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=1049

That’s a bummer.

I just bought some stones from Stu. I got the order confirmation immediately. It took about three weeks for him to respond to my asking for 'hows the order going'.

His website does state that he is a one man shop and it can take a few weeks to respond. I don't quite understand that. But it is his business to run the way he wants to.

John H

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    This May sound insensitive, although that is not at all my intention. While the above blog post is certainly emotional and heartbreaking, an illness or death in the family does not release one from all responsibility, either implied or directly stated, to others in either a business capacity or a personal one. Also it was from November of last year.

I get it, it’s hard. I have a family member in an ICU right now, but the rest of the world does not stop because we are dealing with a difficult situation. Yes, I believe that a bereaved person should be given plenty of leeway, understanding, and consideration in these matters. But contracts should be upheld and agreements kept. I was able to amswer emails from my phone, from the hospital. Just saying...

Also, I’m not badmouthing Stu here. I recently canceled an order with him after not receiving a shipping update in what I felt was a timely fashion & a lost international package got me a bit gun shy. He was very gracious and promptly issued me a refund.
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 03-15-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Also...

I wanted to order a couple of things from him, but Stu didn't answer my email question so I put it on hold.

OTOH, I bought some chisels from Stan C. and some things from TFWW on the same day. The chisels from Japan arrived the same day the stuff from New York did, three or four days.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 03-15-2018 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Clarity

Just received an email from him. My chisels are on their way. He was extremely apologetic and mentioned that he was having issues with supply and demand, and also dealing with personal issues. In any case, I'm sure he will be working through his backlog as he can.

And I'm super excited to get my first set of Japanese chisels!

That's great news Joe . Thanks for the update.

13. I am in the same boat. Ordered a Koyamaichi from ToolsfromJapan in December and still waiting. Not a good experience. Emails take several weeks to be returned. I ordered a couple of Tasai chisels at the same time from Tomohito Iida and those are already here. Great communication with him - as high quality as his chisels. Am planning to cancel the Koyamaichi order if they don’t turn up soon.

I'm not sure why Stu is being raked over the coals; his website clearly stated he had some issues to deal with. Even before that he has clearly said it might take awhile for him to get back in touch.
    He's providing a service for those of us outside of Japan and he's a one man show, not Amazon.

If you can be patient you will be rewarded with some really nice kit! I have no experience with any of the chisels he offers but the 3 stone 'special set' is a fantastic deal.