Thread: Life size carving of Alice

Life size carving of Alice

Hi there. I thought I’d post another of the series of carved sculptures in our little village of Chewton, Australia.

This one is of Alice Dennis who was a wonderful lady that meant a lot to our community. I’ve included a Newspaper clipping about Alice and a picture of her.
    Alice’s sculpture is located at the entrance of the Chewton community centre. Where she greets everyone with her ever present smile and a wave and carrying her Tupperware containers filled with her famous pavlova!

I truly feel honoured to carve these sculptures that are special to our community and it’s people.

Alice is carved from a single piece of cypress and was all carved with Chainsaws and power tools. It took about a month to carve.

This is the fourth sculpture for Chewton I’ve posted and that is all of them as of now........But....I have just completed the next life size for Chewton and it has a dog with it to boot! The installation and unveiling has’nt happened yet. But I will post it when it’s made it’s debut!

Thanks for looking.
    Regards Richard Yates

yates_t_A.jpg yates_t_B.jpg yates_t_C.jpg

yates_t_D.jpg

yates_t_E.jpg yates_t_F.jpg

yates_t_G.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-15-2018 at 8:39 AM. Reason: photos

There is absolutely no question as to who the statue represents. That is just excellent.

Wow- amazing work!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Such a great concept beautifully done. The families must be really affected by these reunions.

Another incredible piece. Every time I see one of your sculptures I want to book travel for carving lessons!

JKJ

What a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing the article. Can’t wait to see the 4th!

Thank you very much gentlemen for the kind words.
    And you bet John if you can make it over here to this neck of the woods I’d love to do some carvin with you!

Regards Richard

Thanks Richard - another delightful piece of work! I also enjoyed reading the newspaper story.
    Each of these sculptures adds character to your community and helps bring everyone together. Another great addition!

Looking forward to the next one.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”