Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Plunge Inlay Router-Base /Which One To Get?

Best Small Plunge Inlay Router-Base /Which One To Get?

I have been wanting to do some inlay work and have been looking at different small bases to use with a Foredom rotary tool or a Dremel. And was hoping to tap in on everyone’s knowledge and experience.

1. Which is best as far as a speed aspect the Foredom at up to 18,000 rpm or the Dremel at up to 32,000 rpm? Due to the extra small diameter of inlay bits. Does speed matter that much?
    2. Which base is everyone using? And have you try different ones? Or what one would you recommend.
    3. Ware or what kind of bits are you using and brand wise?
    4. Best videos u-tub or otherwise that are the most useful?

Here are some bases that I am reviewing. Most are about the same price range except the Micro Fence which I feel is a really good base but priced out of budget for the amount of inlay I would be doing.

StewMac / plunge router base / http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...uter_Base.html

William Ng / https://wnwoodworkingschool.com/prod...e-for-foredom/

Micro Fence / https://microfence.com/product/micro-plunge-base/

Veritas / http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73720

Dremel https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01.../dp/B0000DEZK4

LMI Rotary Plunce Tool / http://www.lmii.com/products/media-g...-tool-assembly
    Last edited by richard poitras; 03-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I started out with a plastic collar that screwed onto the nose of the Dremel, and when I had done enough inlay to know I would keep doing it I bought this base from Stew-Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routers_and_Bits/Routers/Precision_Router_Base.html

It's a very nicely made unit, with very precise adjustment capability. I don't see the need for a plunge router base, it's easy to plunge an inlay bit with a plain base and the price difference is huge. The majority of the instruments I build don't have inlay other than dots, which I put in with a Forstner bit in the drill press, but when I am doing inlay I like the Stew-Mac base and so far I have done fine with a 20 year old 2 speed Dremel tool. When it burns out I will think about a Foredom machine, they look really nice but the cost is a good bit more.
    Zach

I've owned and used the StewMac base for years. It's as good as you can get, I think.

Jeff which model of the StewMac base do you have the silver one or the black one?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I'm not Jeff but I think he must be referring to the silver, non-plunge base. The plunge version has only been available for a year or two, I think, at any rate it's pretty recent. I do lose track of time.
    Zach

Richard, I've the silver one.

I just got the new black model and it is very well built and smooth in the plunge.

Stew-Mac also has a new base that you can set at an angle.

I like the veritas system. IT works well and is a great value.
    Gary

I have both the Stew-Mac and the Micro Plunge. Hands down, the Micro Plunge is superior. I did a review on the Micro Plunge a couple of years ago. Here's a synopsis:

The Micro Plunge with a Dremel 4000. It include a screwdriver, oil and detailed instructions. The battery LEDs, dust collection and hose attachements were extra. The plunge action is very smooth and the micro adjustments extremely accurate. The entire unit is precision made.

In the inset, there is a hole just to the left of the dust collection port. It is designed to accept the LED light but the dust collection attachment covers it up.

With the LED in place on the front, you can see the light that passes through the plastic dust collection attachment. The height of the battery cylinder limits the ability to direct light where you need it.

Here, I have used double sided tape to attach the LED unit.

In this photo I have a very intense LED flashlight providing the light. I found this worked best.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I agree about the micro plunge base being the best on the market His tools are supior when it comes to ease of use and accuracy and well made. You did ask about the best and that is best, I just bought the Stew-mac and have played with it and it too is well made and accurate and less money but is not a plunge base. I will be using this one for a specific job and that is why I bought it.
    John T.

Julie, have you seen the new Light fixture for the micro plunge?
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Julie, have you seen the new Light fixture for the micro plunge?
    Thank you, Steve. I did take a look at it. Based on what I saw in the video, it looks like it solves any lighting problem one may have.

For me, light and dust collection are critical when doing inlay. I know there are those who can inlay circles around me and may disagree with my opinion, and I won't argue with that. But when I'm doing inlay I have to see what I'm doing and that includes being able to see the lines I'm routing to. The video on the new Stew-Mac base looks pretty impressive but they don't show Dan stopping to get rid of the waste. A vacuum attachment would have been a nice addition.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I have been wanting to do some inlay work and have been looking at different small bases to use with a Foredom rotary tool or a Dremel. And was hoping to tap in on everyone’s knowledge and experience.
    ]
    No matter what you choose, forget about the Dremel one (Amazon) unless you plan to do crude inlay work.

If best value is the criterion, the Lee Valley set is the best deal, and none of those others on your list can match. By best value, I mean a tool that can deliver the same result at the least cost.

You did not ask about rotary bits for inlay work. I found out from other woodworkers that we can get their bits all sorts of sizes on an online auction site at a fraction of the costs charged by local or online vendors.
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-16-2018 at 4:39 PM.

Thanks for all the comments and reply’s. In review I would agree the Micro Fence is the best one out there but the price is something to be considered as I don’t see myself doing that much inlay and would have a hard time with return on investment especially after you by some of the accessories and would be in the $600.00 range. Also, I have a problem with M.F. as I was discussing products with him a few months back and in asking about one of their their lights and the owner stated that unless I had one of their based he would not sell it to me. I was taken back by that comment and asked why not he said either you are all in with their system or you’re not as he didn’t want anyone to use his products for anything else accept on his units? I proceeded to tell him I would not be buy from him at that point as his web site has product, prices, and items for sale but he pics and choses what you can buy? Not in my world.

Also, I agree that a light and either a vacuum or blower are something that are very important. But I feel with most units you can rig up a light and blower if they don’t have one.

At this point I like the Black StewMac but I am leaning more towards the Veritas as it looks and sounds well-built and for $200.00 you can have all the accessories or less if you don’t need them all. The S.M. base you would have to buy more accessories and then goes up in price but if I only get the base I think it would be good.
    For those that have the Veritas does the depth stop have a micro adjustment? It looks like it does but I didn’t see it in the description. Also has anyone used the circle guild with double face tape and if so how well did it work?

Also, what web sites are you getting your bits from as some had mentioned about getting them from different venders but no names.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006