Thread: Best economy rip blade

Best economy rip blade

I was about to order a freud thin kerf 24t blade on Amazon when I noticed the Amana Mamba and the CMT ITK 24t rip (Both listed as thin kerf). Any opinions on these? I don't want to buy junk, I need to reliably rip 2" antique heart pine on a 1-1/2hp 230v unisaw.

Blog Entries
    I own a Freud 24 tooth thin kerf rip blade and it has been resharpened at least once and is still going. I think it is at least 10 years old.

I now primarily use a Freud full kerf Glue Line rip blade on my Craftsman 1-1/2 Hp saw and it cuts as well as the thin kerf does.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-14-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ten inch blade? I like the 18 tooth or 20 tooth. The 18 is noticeably faster.

Economy?

Hard to beat a 7 1/4" Freud rip blade. Narrow kerf too.

At your local big box store.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I used the infinity rip blade. I doubt it's any better but the flat top grind makes it useful for joinery and ripping.

https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-bl...e-24t-097-kerf

The Freud LU87 is a good rip blade and at least provides a flat top grind, as does the Infinity that Ben mentioned. The CMT Industrial 202.024.10 would be the TK equivalent of the Freud Industrial if you can find one....the CMT ITK (and the Freud Diablo D1024x) does not have a pure FTG. The Italian made Irwin Marples rip blade would be another good example of a decent affordable rip, but AFAIK this one is also an ATB grind.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Big fan of CMT blades here.

If you’re not worrying about gluing the surface and are going to plane the finished edge, Rick’s suggestion is really smart. It’s amazing how well these small blades cut on a table saw. Just not sure if your saw will push it up 2” past the surface. Dan

7-1/4 would leave me wanting more height at times but I actually see now that Freud has a thin kerf glue line rip 8" 24t, which works out to the same tpi as the 10" 30t. For $25 I'm thinking I might give it a try, I haven't found any feedback really on the Amana Mamba line and not much more on the CMT ITK (not plus) line I was looking at. If nothing else that 8" freud should work great for thinner stock and I'll pickup a 10" for thicker stock

I'm no stranger to running a smaller blade -my go to crosscut blade is 8-1/2 60t and it cuts great with 3/4-4/4, I don't recall trying it on anything thicker though

$22 on Amazon