Thread: Dutch tool chest width question

Dutch tool chest width question

Been working on my Dutch tool chest but I’m wondering if should have used a different tool for the width. I actually used the 27” from the plans (which is enough for a panel saw and a #8). However, if I go with that width I won’t be able to mount my full size handsaws (26” blade). Before I get too much farther into it, I can cut another bottom with enough width to mount the saws.

should I go for that wider width?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    ... should I go for that wider width?
    I think of the DTC as more of a form, or category, than a specific size. So, to me, you should build the size you want. *BUT* before you commit, make a mock-up and see how your arms fit around it in a lifting position.

Other ideas: Maybe you could mount your saws on a diagonal and increase the width by a little less? Or build a separate saw till.

David makes a good point, how are you going to use the tool chest. If you are going to lift and carry it, smaller is better. If you are going to roll it around on wheels, it can be larger and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    David makes a good point, how are you going to use the tool chest. If you are going to lift and carry it, smaller is better. If you are going to roll it around on wheels, it can be larger and heavier.
    I don’t think I could lift even the small version any longer.

Maybe hang the saws along the back wall of the chest..vertically?

The answer to your question lies in the answer to this question: What tools did you want to include in your tool kit? Keep in mind you will likely never move it when it is full of tools.

I built a DTC almost immediately after the PWW article. Mine is somewhere in between the large and the small size, and I wish I would have made it a bit bigger, long enough the store my most used panel saws. I also have a floor tool chest, that is not convenient at all and a rolling chest I built, as the base for the DTC. In it, I store other hand saws, etc.

One of these days, I will build another, slightly different DTC- a bit wider and maybe a tad deeper. A few inches either way will make a world of difference. I like the concept of the tool chest, but what can be problematic, is the height of what you place it on, as that determines your ability to see everything within.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Maybe hang the saws along the back wall of the chest..vertically?
    The height isn’t enough for that.

have to admit that part of my motivation might be that the pins aren’t exactly even and pretty.

Here is the first side of pins...
    E31B0141-B3C3-4639-898F-20E62852C6DB.jpg

Seems really messy to me. And the I tried sawing the last pin...

BBE0397C-AD09-4345-801C-DB2B0B7D4BF9.jpg

Sidnt turn out as as good as I’d hoped

I think I built mine 30" wide and taller than normal but not tippy, I'll have to measure. Mine is on casters, if I wanted one to move around in a vehicle I'd probably do a small version of the anarchist's chest.

Do you actually need to put your saws into it? Mine just hang on the wall.

11. I built my dutch tool chest to the normal width (27in) and don't feel it's lacking in size. Like others on this thread have said, the chest is pretty heavy and I probably couldn't lift it when full of tools. I have two 26" saws for breaking down big stock and these hang on the wall. I picked up a couple smaller 18in panel saws which live in the tool chest. These saws are perfect in my small workspace and I use them more often than the big saws. The only downside is that they are a little slower because of the tpi. One thing you might consider is building a lower case to support the tool chest. This has been an awesome recent addition to my shop.
    thumbnail_IMG_3460.jpg