Thread: Planning a Moravian, with a prelaminated top- is 1.75" Pacific Maple thick enough?

Planning a Moravian, with a prelaminated top- is 1.75" Pacific Maple thick enough?

I've been thinking about doing a workbench for a while, but laminating the top sorta drove me away.
    After trolling craigslist, I found a guy selling a 1.75" x 18" x 87" thick pacific maple countertop that might do the trick.

However:
    1. It's 1.7 hours away each way! Plus with rains, it'd be more like 2 hours each way.
    2. Is 1.75" thick enough for one of these benches?
    3. I'll need to crosscut off about 8-10" off the end for it to fit in my car.
    4. Should I build a split-top instead?

That is about all the thickness that I have left to my top and I have absolutely zero issues. Holdfasts work just fine.

Thanks!

Looks like I'm doing down to Santa Cruz with a Kataba in hand.

Not that I have a tremendous amount of experience but I am in the process of building a Moravian bench myself so I've done a lot of reading on it and workbenches in general. So. That aside, I would not have a benchtop that thin. Pretty much every source of information I've read on workbench design says to shoot for something thicker. From what I understand 2.5" might be pushing it even. On top of that, the Moravian bench is already a pretty light bench even with the 3-3.5" top that Will Myers' design uses. Any lighter and you might lose some functionality if you intend to use the bench for heavy planing or anything like that.

Take this with a grain of salt because this opinion is based more on what I've read than what I've experienced. My current bench that was really meant only for finishing and assembly has a 1.5" thick top. I have gotten by with it but it is far from ideal.

1.75" is plenty thick. The only concern may be vibrations in the middle of the bench (far from the legs/stretchers). You may want to look into bracing similar to English workbenches - so long as you have support underneath the top, it will be just fine. Most holdfasts should hold, and if not you can laminate another strip of wood under the dog hole row to increase the thickness locally.

I have a split top currently. For my next bench I wanted to build a single top - the planing stop/tool holder just isn't used that much at my bench. Unfortunately I have no choice as the slab was too big to work and carry myself so I had to rip it down into two halves.

There is a work bench thread from recently that I have shown my bench. I suck at computers and it took me too long to get that picture up. My bench top is 30"x80". I have used it for many years and plan on it being my last. The top is supported at the top of the legs and I have never noticed any flex or weakness of any kind. I'm a simple get it done- don't read too much into it no bullshit kind of guy. If my bench didn't perform the way I wanted, it would be in the fire pile and I'd have another built in a week. I also would not tell you that it is OK if it weren't. I hate bad information, but you can't beat experience.

Matt,

My last Moravian bench had a nominal 8/4 beech slab, meaning at best 1 7/8" most likely closer to 1 3/4" thick. It worked with no problem for any operation I tried, the hold fasts helt, I could chop mortises and dovetail waste, it other words it is a good bench top currently being used as a sharpening bench. The new Moravian bench will have a glue upped slab that is a little thicker for no other reason than I can. The thinner slab worked very well.

As I get farther along into the build of the new bench I'll post some photos,

ken

Many of the benches at Williamsburg, both in the joiner's shop and cabinetmaker's shop, use a 1 3/4" thick top. You will probably want to cut mortises or chop dovetails over one of the bench legs but other than that it should be fine.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 03-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    There are many, “european” benches, that use multiple thicknesses of wood in a single top. A popular tactic is to build the area with dog holes thicker. I am working on a Noden Adjusta Bench. There will be a section of the bench, where the vise will be that will be thicker laminations. The wider portion will be multiple layers of plywood with 2x4 reinforcement. The work surface, of the main part of the bench will be switchable surfaces: plastic, MDF/particle board/Festool top, foam (disposable for sawing into). At least one surface will be level with the thicker section of the bench. My original workbench, was made with multiple layers of 3/4 plywood and a switchable 1/4” particle board top held in place with simple wood strips. It still works. The obvious “advantage” is being able to replace the top, vs having to replane it.

Hey Neanderbuddies,

I'm sorry to say that I chickened out on this.

Yesterday, I paid a visit to my friend Michi Matsuda's workshop on the way to Santa Cruz.
    I looked around and noticed that there were workbenches of just 2x4 dimensional lumber screwed together and MDF tops...everywhere.
    And he's one of the world's best guitar builders.

While he said that a maple top would be beautiful if I had the budget for it ("why not?" were his words), his actions speak louder than his words.

I decided against driving an additional 1.6 hours to Santa Cruz, as I was really tired....and I have a maple (questionably) laminated slab sitting in my workshop that I should use up first. It may require regluing some portions.