Thread: Another hf dc mod question - well, 2 questions

Another hf dc mod question - well, 2 questions

I hate for my first post to be one that I know everyone has read a hundred times but I was hoping to get the most up to date info I can for the topic.

I am currently deployed in the US Navy (active 21+ years) overseas and have ordered an have a pile of parts, tools, lumber, etc waiting for me in my new garage workshop (work in progress). I have the new version of the 2HP HF DC. I purchased the Super Dust Deputy with the 6-INCH outlet and 5-INCH inlet. I wish that I ha waited for the XL but it's too late and I am already $150 invested so I am gonna try and work with it. I also have the Rikon impeller, delivered after 2 months of waiting...not that big of a deal since I've been gone the whole time.

I have read the article from GreyHouseStudios (http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/) 100 times and was hoping for feedback on a few things.

1. If this setup works so well with the impeller feeding right into a short duct directly to a filter, why do so many people use the stock parts to set the filter like in the second pic below?

2. With the SDD only having a 5-inch inlet, will the setup accept 6-inch PVC? Can I modify the SDD inlet to be 6 inches...similar to the housing on the HF DC impeller? I found these guys after searching these forums and the prices aren't too bad. http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Thanks for any feedback anyone has.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that they are just two variants - - both work - - but each with some plusses and minuses. The picture on the left is more compact than the one on the right. (BTW, I get a kick out of how it appears to block access to the breaker panel....) But the one on the right has the added benefit of whatever dust particles makes it through the impeller, that they some slight degree of additional centrifugal separation before they "hit" the filter material. Also with the setup on the right, it appears that the filter is quite a bit larger (i.e., has more surface area) and will take longer before it plugs up/needs maintenance.

3. #1) No idea , why they still use the HF body for the filter. Maybe for the dust collection Bag?
    I just placed my order for the Wynn filter today , and I'll be doing the set up in pic#1 (keeping it 5" , wide radius 90 degree elbow)

#2) the 5" inlet stays 5" until it 'merges' into the cyclone part , I suppose you could modify the mouth of the opening to accept 6" , but internally it'll still be reduced down to 5". On their website , Onieda mentions against decreasing duct size before the 5" inlet (aka shouldn't run 6" man ducts with it) , So I'd personally advise against it.

#3) I'm jealous of you and your upgraded Rikon Impeller , my order that was supposed to ship 2 weeks ago is now delayed until early May -- Mid June. ahh well

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    But the one on the right has the added benefit of whatever dust particles makes it through the impeller, that they some slight degree of additional centrifugal separation before they "hit" the filter material.
    that's a good point! Didn't think of that. too bad there's too many variables , or else I'd gladly test both options out. (plus , 7' basement ceilings are killing me with any type of wall mounted set ups)

If you do it like the picture on the left the first time you forget to empty your collection bin in time you will realize why some do the setup in the picture on the right.

Roger,

See comments below:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Robitaillle View Post
    I hate for my first post to be one that I know everyone has read a hundred times but I was hoping to get the most up to date info I can for the topic.

I am currently deployed in the US Navy (active 21+ years) overseas and have ordered an have a pile of parts, tools, lumber, etc waiting for me in my new garage workshop (work in progress). I have the new version of the 2HP HF DC. I purchased the Super Dust Deputy with the 6-INCH outlet and 5-INCH inlet. I wish that I ha waited for the XL but it's too late and I am already $150 invested so I am gonna try and work with it. I also have the Rikon impeller, delivered after 2 months of waiting...not that big of a deal since I've been gone the whole time.

I have read the article from GreyHouseStudios (http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/) 100 times and was hoping for feedback on a few things.

First thing don't assume this was done correctly...it wasn't. Will it work, sure. First per Oneida you should power the SDD XL with a 3+ HP or 850CFM? Neither of which he had. I think he used a handheld meter to clock 700CFM, but my experience is that those meters are easily 30% high and inconsistent. Second, when designing a system there are guidelines for duct size and velocity. With a 6" duct (SDD XL) those minimums are why Oneida requires a larger throughput. Also when you start to lower the speed too much you impact the cyclone performance.

1. If this setup works so well with the impeller feeding right into a short duct directly to a filter, why do so many people use the stock parts to set the filter like in the second pic below?

It's easier! When you take out the HF baffle you have to create your own filter connection for both the top and bottom. When you do keep the baffle you are keeping additional, un-needed resistance on the exhaust port. There are plenty of alternative filters that are different sizes than the Wynn, so the baffle is not needed.

2. With the SDD only having a 5-inch inlet, will the setup accept 6-inch PVC? Can I modify the SDD inlet to be 6 inches...similar to the housing on the HF DC impeller? I found these guys after searching these forums and the prices aren't too bad. http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php
    No, You never want to enlarge your piping going away from the DC only smaller. Stick with 5" HVAC ducting. Look for the recent post by Mike Burke who just did this setup on a 2HP Grizzly.

Thanks for any feedback anyone has.

Roger
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl