Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YETI Lawsuit and JDS

YETI Lawsuit and JDS

I know engraved tumblers are an important part of many businesses here, so wanted to pass along that JDS sent out an email yesterday about YETI's lawsuit against them. In short, JDS is holding fast by continuing to offer the 10, 20, and 30 oz tumblers, but they appear uncertain how this will eventually play out. YETI apparently does not have patents on the tumblers, so they are claiming trade dress infringement and have filed over 50 lawsuits against JDS and others. JDS' CEO made the statement: "The outcome of these lawsuits is unknown at this time, because there has not been any court decision either in favor of YETI or against it on these issues."

JDS announced a new vacuum insulated drinkware option as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there already a lawsuit that Yeti filed a few years ago about this?
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there already a lawsuit that Yeti filed a few years ago about this?
    They filed suit against Rtic, and apparently prevailed because Rtic stopped selling the 30oz tumblers and came out with a new design. Not sure if there were any others or not.

This all seems very strange to me. Throwing money at lawyers because someone made a cup that looks similar to yours, at a fraction of the cost. Like.. why? Does anyone have a link to info about the lawsuit?

Yeti did indeed prevail in the lawsuit against Rtic. The reason is simple--there are millions of dollars involved and Yeti was harmed.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Yeti did indeed prevail in the lawsuit against Rtic. The reason is simple--there are millions of dollars involved and Yeti was harmed.
    So, based on that, do you think Yeti has grounds against JDS? I don't recall seeing their cups in person.

I don't know but Walmart changed their design as a result of the Yeti suit.

As an engraver Yeti is my hero because they developed a lucrative business for us and those who knocked off their cups.

Even with the large price differential, I do more Yeti cups than other brands.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I don't know but Walmart changed their design as a result of the Yeti suit.

As an engraver Yeti is my hero because they developed a lucrative business for us and those who knocked off their cups.

Even with the large price differential, I do more Yeti cups than other brands.
    I thought I read somewhere they offered their own engraving services, meaning no wholesale for laser engravers? Or are you meaning people bring their own cups to you?

They do offer engraving. I have customers who buy them retail and my largest customer buys them wholesale but not from Yeti.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Gotcha. So it's perfectly legal if I were to take me Yeti to let's say, Gary, since he's in the same town as myself, and have him etch something on it?

RTIC settled with YETI, to avoid further litigation and a trial. There was no legal decision.

YETI is also suing some engravers and have named them co-defendants in the JDS lawsuit. YETI contends that they are damaged by the engravers advertising their services and diluted the market by using JDS products.

So technically speaking, if someone asks to pay for services to engrave their cup through someone that isn't them, its illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    So technically speaking, if someone asks to pay for services to engrave their cup through someone that isn't them, its illegal?
    No, that's not what YETI is claiming in the JDS cause of action.

I have noticed competing stainless steel tumblers have changed their shape by adding ribs/rings.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    I have noticed competing stainless steel tumblers have changed their shape by adding ribs/rings.
    Yes, trade dress (the shape of the tumblers) is what YETI is claiming.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 03-15-2018 at 4:11 PM.