Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small shop upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Matt, I didn't see a table saw on your equipment list. If you do not yet have one, find a good used one and spend your budget on that. A decent table saw is the center of a decent shop. Buy the best one that your budget will allow and it will serve as the foundation for you to move forward.
    dumping a craftsman and getting DW contractor saw DWE7480.

What projects have you built? What project to you plan on or want to build? When you built projects, what did you find lacking, what frustrated you, what would have made it nicer?

You don't have a jointer. But they take up room. You do have a number #8 which will edge joint nicely and modern bandsawn rough lumber is often flat enough to run through the planer and the #8 and could tune it up if it didn't come out flat enough. But if you had room, even a 6 inch jointer would be something you would use a lot. What is your preferred method of joinery? Pocket screws, dovetails, m&t? Do you have what you need there?

My best opinion, is don't buy any tools impulsively. Buy what you need for the project at hand. The project will dictate good choices. I recently cleaned and reorganized my shop. I found 14 items still in the original packages. At the time, I just had to have them. I bought a festool router that was very expensive. It sat in the box for months before I actually used it. Now, when I run into a need while working on a project, I first try to rework the problem to fit what I already have and if that doesn't work I order it from Amazon with free 2 days shipping and work on something else until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I know "everyone" says that, but the TS is the least important tool in my shop. If I were starting over I'd concentrate on the other tools first.
    Carlos, whats your most important tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Instead of spending the 1k right away use it to buy things you need for projects. Ex, if you need more clams spend a few bucks and get some bigger clamps. A good combination square and tenon hand saw are good investments.

For big stationary machines buy used and learn to restore them. You can save a ton of money.
    Thanks for the direct advice. Do you recommend a certain clamp/saw?

PS. I do have access to a unisaw at work.

One other question Matthew.

Which tool have you found inadequate for the types of work you do?

$1k is not a large budget. I would suggest spending as much as needed on the tool that has the highest usage it suitability ratio. For example though you didn't say which Wen bandsaw you have, you did mention rough sawn lumber. If you need to resaw your rough lumber then upgrading the bandsaw may be your best bet. But if you need wider boards then upgrading to a wider jointer would be a better approach as your thickness plainer is probably already able to handle 12" lumber.

But if you are open to hand tools then using the money for a good crosscut or rip saw and some more planes for dimensioning your lumber would be a better approach. If you hand plane the edge square and the face flat then you have good reference surfaces for use on the table saw or planer without having to upgrade those.

As others pointed out you can stretch your budget with used tools but it may be a while before something comes available that fits your budget. Good approach but often a slow way of upgrading. Also you need to be somewhat knowledgeable to keep from buy someone's junk or problems.

It's all subjective to what you build. Cabinets, rough natural furniture, lathe work....for me and the stuff I build my table saw is The most important part of my shop. Table saw, jointer, router table and hand full of router bits.
    So depending on what you build will dictate what tools you need to spend the most on.

@Mike

Console table with drawer, four or five TV stands, a simple end table. All rough sawn milled out at a friends. Mostly black walnut. some quarter sawn oak. Im primitive on joinery, but have used lock miter, dowel (sometimes with a domino). I like modern clean furniture and recently made a blue tooth speaker box with a continuous grain.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to take a stab at this one too - If you use ply at all for your projects then I'm going to suggest a track saw. Doesn't replace a table saw but for large panels just can't beat the accuracy and safety of a good track saw ($500 or so). Then - if you don't already have one - a kreg jig. Not really favored by purist wood workers especially with furniture but sure comes in handy in the right places (about $140 or so). I'm also going to go along with a good benchtop planer - Dewalt makes a couple of good ones ($400 or so). There I spent your money just like that -

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Carver View Post
    dumping a craftsman and getting DW contractor saw DWE7480.
    Oh, I thought you were talking about the higher-end Dewalt. That one is basically good for cutting construction lumber and nothing more. You really should not buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    I'm going to take a stab at this one too - If you use ply at all for your projects then I'm going to suggest a track saw. Doesn't replace a table saw but for large panels just can't beat the accuracy and safety of a good track saw ($500 or so). Then - if you don't already have one - a kreg jig. Not really favored by purist wood workers especially with furniture but sure comes in handy in the right places (about $140 or so). I'm also going to go along with a good benchtop planer - Dewalt makes a couple of good ones ($400 or so). There I spent your money just like that -
    Thanks Rick. I rarely use ply. Im a solid wood kinda guy. I've eyed the kreg jig setup though as well as track saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    It's all subjective to what you build. Cabinets, rough natural furniture, lathe work....for me and the stuff I build my table saw is The most important part of my shop. Table saw, jointer, router table and hand full of router bits.
    So depending on what you build will dictate what tools you need to spend the most on.
    Actually those are the key things I was thinking of getting. I wanted to see if I was off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cary View Post
    What projects have you built? What project to you plan on or want to build? When you built projects, what did you find lacking, what frustrated you, what would have made it nicer?

You don't have a jointer. But they take up room. You do have a number #8 which will edge joint nicely and modern bandsawn rough lumber is often flat enough to run through the planer and the #8 and could tune it up if it didn't come out flat enough. But if you had room, even a 6 inch jointer would be something you would use a lot. What is your preferred method of joinery? Pocket screws, dovetails, m&t? Do you have what you need there?

My best opinion, is don't buy any tools impulsively. Buy what you need for the project at hand. The project will dictate good choices. I recently cleaned and reorganized my shop. I found 14 items still in the original packages. At the time, I just had to have them. I bought a festool router that was very expensive. It sat in the box for months before I actually used it. Now, when I run into a need while working on a project, I first try to rework the problem to fit what I already have and if that doesn't work I order it from Amazon with free 2 days shipping and work on something else until it arrives.

PS. I'm going to make some shelves for the bedroom out of some remaining walnut. Looking at mitered joints on top and doweled for the bottom shelf. Not sure what to do for a back on it yet.

Hi, if you're making items from rough lumber, you'll get the best improvement from a good jointer in your case.

The accuracy of your tablesaw isn't that important for solid wood furniture.

You can break down rough timber to over sized pieces with a hand saw for cross cuts, and a band saw for ripping.

Then you joint and plane to a finished thickness/width. That's the most important step, producing flat, square, parallel objects.

Then you can cut them to length, cut tenons and mortises and glue stuff together.

For panels in doors, even if you use veneered ply, a handsaw is as accurate as you need since the cut edge will be hidden in a groove in the frame.

It all starts with stock prep, which means flat and parallel. Now if you want to use only hand tools parallel and square aren't as important as each piece is hand fitted to the next.

When hand planing, it doesn't matter if one face of my table leg is at 89 degrees because when I cut the tenon shoulder I cut it to match. That approach doesn't work with machines.

Regards, Rod.

Measuring and marking tools.
    block plane
    shoulder plane
    ROS
    dust collector
    trim router