Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazing parallel parking

I was on the Norwegian Epic (3rd largest cruise ship at the time, only smaller by a few feet) a few years ago at that same "parking spot". I was always up early in the morning, so it was fun watching them dock while drinking my first cup. Bow and stern thrusters are amazing.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

My nephew was assigned to the George H W Bush aircraft carrier when it was new. My wife and I went on the First family day cruise a few years back. When they were pulling out and coming in there were two very small tugs standing by for the most part. I was amazed. Had a wonderful day from 5 AM until 10 PM. It did take over an hour after our return before we could get off. Quite a chore to get all of the gangways shore power and such back in place. I don't think I would want to be the captain and sign out for that piece of government property. That would be a huge responsibility. Hoorah to our Navy, what gracious hosts they were on that day and what a great job they do everyday.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I've never parked a cruise ship, but I did drive a Navy Oiler (AO-60) into dry dock. Bow thrusters and the Azipods, it is considerably easier to maneuver large vessels at slow speeds than it was to dock the traditional twin screw and rudder ships. You ought to dry docking a 553' ship with one rudder and two screws.
    091906018.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've never parked a cruise ship, but I did drive a Navy Oiler (AO-60) into dry dock. Bow thrusters and the Azipods, it is considerably easier to maneuver large vessels at slow speeds than it was to dock the traditional twin screw and rudder ships. You ought to dry docking a 553' ship with one rudder and two screws.
    091906018.jpg
    You obviously have the experience there sir. The only thing I ever saw was Victory ships being shoved around Cam Ranh Bay and Baltimore. It was a lot different at that time. I have had some experience with single screws to 45' or so. Even those are not much fun in close quarters. Now twin screws and two rudders go sideways pretty well.
    Jim

When the big carriers come or go into San Francisco bay they have to hinge down the top of the antenna masts and they under the golden gate bridge only at low tide. I do not think the cruise ships are that tall?
    Bil lD