Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sketch up vs autocad

Sketch up vs autocad

Ive finally decided to come out of the stone age and move to computerized drafting and have narrowed my options down to sketch up or autocad but im unsure which way to go. My primary application will be doing 2D elevations of my various windows and doors as well as cross sections and profiles.

Will one be easier than another to learn? Does one give greater cross over moving forwards? If i make a drawing in either program, can it be sent and viewed by a customer or supplier without that software?

Thank you for the help

Sketchup. Cheaper too, as in free. You can export jpeg images for others to view.

I found Sketchup to be much more intuitive and easily produced 3D models with no training at all. AutoCAD, IMO, is more difficult o learn, but better for more traditional 2D drafting. I liken it to the difference between a ball of clay and set of Rapid-o-graphs.

I have been using Sketchup for a couple of years, but for the last month have been trying to switch to Fusion360. So far I am liking F360 more than Sketchup but so far the learning is slow because of watching a video tutorial and then trying to replicate.

If you're producing millwork (eg: windows and doors) to be integrated within a architectural package, AutoCad would be best.

Drawings are exported as PDFs.

If you are looking for 2D check out Delta CAD. It's very easy to use. I use it all the time for my woodworking projects.

Mike

If you're just doing 2D then AutoCAD all the way. You could get by with AutoCAD LT. If you want to make the jump to 3D, move to Fusion 360.

Saving the files as DXF or DWG should allow them to be imported by any CAD program that the customer uses. They seem to be universally supported.

If you just want visibility, then PDF is a great option, as Peter suggested.
    Steve

I think a lot of it depends on whether your looking for a paid option or a free or free-ish option. Full blown Autocad with regards to cost is no comparison to SU. Way more expensive. As already pointed out you can export from the paid version of SU in a format nearly anyone else can use. We do it all the time. If your looking for a combination of high quality 2D ability with sections and all, SU Pro would be the way I would go. Fusion 360 is great but if your in business, and an honest individual, its not free. And no different than what Google/Trimble did with SU, they are offering fusion at a low annual cost and without a doubt when they get enough hooks set the cost will rise exponentially.

I use Fusion for some personal stuff and to play around to be familiar with it but its far too complex for the vast majority of work we do in the shop. Sketchup's environment (to me) is tailored very well to a cabinet shop/architectural millwork environment. The plug-in's available specifically to the wood world are extremely handy.

All Autodesk products are now subscription, with the cheapest being Fusion 360 at $300/year. AutoCAD LT is just slightly over that. We pay $2,100/year per seat for AutoCAD Civil 3D.

Sketchup is NOT free for any commercial use but is very inexpensive compared to most others. Think you would pay $500 outright for Sketchup Pro, which lets you work in 3D and print/export 2d drawings.

Fusion 360 is free for students, enthusiasts, and entrepreneurs making less than $100,000/yr with it.

Just to throw a wrench into the machine, if you are a Canadian or US military veteran, you can get SolidWorks for $20/yr.

Wayne

Fusion 360 includes a 2.5d CAM as well.

I'm not familiar with Fusion 360 so I can't comment to that but I am familiar with Delta CAD and very familiar with Sketch Up. SU just is soo much faster than Delta CAD and I suspect Auto CAD as well. Can't tell you how many times I use previous drawings or portions of previous drawings to draw a new project and just alter the dimensions or something. I'm so use to SU now I can import / draw / alter a project right in front of the customer and get instant decisions right then. Especially important with built ins or kitchens and definitely a selling point for the customer to see a very good 3D image of the project before I ever make the first cut. Best birthday present ever from my wife was a 3 day class at my local Woodcraft to learn it really well from Bob Lang (thanks again Bob).

I believe he still has a bunch of learning materials for the beginner that are top shelf and there is a million videos out there to lean how to use SU. You do have to use it to make it sink in however.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 03-14-2018 at 1:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    Just to throw a wrench into the machine, if you are a Canadian or US military veteran, you can get SolidWorks for $20/yr.
    Fly, meet sledgehammer.

Meant to mention earlier that AutoCad LT would probably be sufficient for millwork.

Mac Users should look at MacDraft. Even I can use it.