Thread: camaster mortise and tenons

camaster mortise and tenons

Hello everyone!
    newbie question for the day, how does one make mortise and tenons on a camaster (panther or stinger 2). I can understand how it is done on the end of a legacy maverick, but I am unable to see how it is done on a camaster product. I apoligize if i am not asking the question correctly.
    Thanks Bill

Not specific to a camaster, just mount stock vertical in front of machine.

Most of the time you try to find an alternate solution for your joinery. Being able to process everything from the top side is optimal. It is not incredibly productive to have multiple setups. On the big pod and rail CNC's they have a C-axis and aggregates, but that is not something you put on an entry level machine for a number of reasons.

Here is a video from Gary that might interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yX-ZrDt2sM
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 03-14-2018 at 7:02 PM.

You can search youtube for a channel called something like working against the grain where they cut a hole in the table to vertically mount boards for end work in a jig.

Most machines not intended for this will have things like zone controls or e stops off the end of the machine which will negate working of the end of the machine.

A few manufacturers facilitate working vertically off the end or edge of the machine in their design. I personally find cutting dovetails or mortise and tenons on the cnc eyegougingly painful and slow but I know people like Brad find it productive. There just seems to be far more profitable ways to complete the task than the cnc.

There was a recent thread about cutting cabinet backs off the cnc (convential saw, slider, beam saw) on another forum. There are just some tasks that are much faster than on the cnc. Square cut parts, dovetails, and m&t, are some of those for us.

If your tenon parts exceed the height from your floor to the max of your z travel (for vertical parts) your going to be old school anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Here is a video from Gary that might interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yX-ZrDt2sM
    That's very cool, and pretty fast too. Appears he also has a drill mounted in front of the main spindle Anyone know what machine Gary is working with in that video?

I'd like to be able to work in front of the table to do inlay work on banjo rims and bowls. I'd hold them on a simple indexing jig, and do a series of repeated inlays. I've thought to just use a light spindle, maybe a pencil die grinder, piggybacked on the spindle mount to extend over the edge. Weight would be minimal, and cutting forces with the micro endmills I use should be negligible.

My tiny Techno Davinci has a moving table, don't like the idea of hanging the fixture off the end, would want to upgrade to a moving gantry machine.

At the start I believe it said it was on a shop bot. You can find lots of useful ideas of his and Brady Watson's on the shopbotter forum. I cannot do that on mine because my gantry does not hang over either ends.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 03-14-2018 at 9:45 PM.

Thank you everyone for the information, the more i learn about this...the more there is to learn.