Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've got turners' block

This reminds me of the "10,000 hour rule".

Feedback and reflection are the way to get better.

Reading between your lines (with due respect), it feels like you need a language for the elements. It's overwhelming to think about it in terms of "there's just a look about them that I can't put my finger on".

You have to break it down into elements: the lift, the thickness, the rim, the foot, the finish.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is why I found Raffan's book so useful. He gives you that language (not that I am remotely fluent yet ). He also shows different sketches, Goldiocks style, with "not enough", "too much", "just right" variations. He also gives a bunch of templates that you can trace and print and use for your own forms. Perhaps most useful to me was his discussions on how curves take off and resolve. This is gradually getting me away from thinking "I'm going to make a calabash" to a more organic: "This amount of return on the lip feels good, given how I've chosen to take off from the base."

Bill, maybe you should stick to copying the bowls that you like, and made by others, rather than trying to make your own designs, there is such a thing as talent, and not everyone has it.

I’ve brought this up before, though it isn’t liked by many, you can teach someone to paint, like a house or things like that, but it takes something else to be a Rembrandt, Van Gogh, or Van Steen or any of these artist.

This does also apply to throwing pots and bowls from clay, same applies for wood, where the soft clay can be reshaped, wood isn’t as forgiving, but yes you have to have an eye or feeling for doing this wood turning to get the pleasing shapes, other than that, copy what you see, you might improve over time, just all IMO .
    Have fun and take care

Leo, your point is well taken. In my woodcarving, I almost always copy what someone else has done.. something that catches my eye. After making that object about 5 times, I begin to see something change in the design.. not necessarily on purpose.. it just happens. A few more times and that woodcarving is my own. It still looks like a "dog" but, it's a different "dog". As my mind sees it. I don't have enough experience with turning yet.. but, I'm guessing that my evolution will be very similar.

I haven't seen a reply by the OP.. so, I don't fully understand what his request is.. despite many offering best guesses at what he is asking for.

Blog Entries
    OP here. Day 3....same bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    I haven't seen a reply by the OP.. so, I don't fully understand what his request is.. despite many offering best guesses at what he is asking for.
    OP does not know what questions to ask. And all of you have tried very hard to help. I appreciate each and every post. Thank you all.

Bill, can you post a straight on side view that shows the profile - preferably against a light background so the bowl has contrast against it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    This is the best I can do for right now. I took several shots and when I tried to crop them my editing program would not download them from my smartphone.
    I need to get out my SLR.

Blog Entries
    I was able to coax 1 more through the edit program.

Blog Entries
    And another. Sorry, but my phone is not the ideal camera for this.

IMO, it is a significant improvement over version 2. If it were mine and I could still chuck it, I would remove the top at the point where the lower curve terminates - before it begins the outward flare. That would get the diameter and height in better proportion and result in a fairly nice form. A fitting gift for your brother!! If you can’t chuck it, it still is a presentable gift.

Now that this one is behind you, spend some time in research and study.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    I can still chuck it. That base is my mortise. Very weak since I removed some stock outside of it, but if I'm careful I think I can cut where you suggested. Won't be tonight, though.

Blog Entries
    You can clearly see that I'm very low on the learning curve and a friend who has helped me get access to most of the wood I have is breathing down my neck for an urn for him.
    That's pressure at this point in the game.
    At first I thought, oh, I'll be able to fashion something together for him. People will see it 2 or 3 days, then it's, no, wait. They don't bury urns !!!
    He's been waiting for 3 years. I hope his ticker holds up for another 10 or 12 years.

Bill, where you located? There has to be someone near you that can help out and give you some one-on-one time with bowl turning basics.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    About here, John? Can't go very much higher. There's not enough thickness left.

Yes, Steve. There's a turners' club less than 30 minutes from me but I've yet to get involved.

Bill,

I think you will find that attending/joining a local turning club is well worth the effort. Turning becomes a whole lot more enjoyable when you can have someone demo creating different forms, using different tools and cutting techniques and also be able to see first hand what others are turning.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!