Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 50-720 DC Startup Capacitor Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mike, that's generally correct however I have some single phase machines that have 2 contacts in the start push button.

One latches the run contactor, the other closes the start capacitor contactor that does not latch.

Once the machine is up to speed you release the start button.

Nice thing about that system is that you never have to take the motor apart to service the starting system.........Rod.
    Oh, I understand. Thanks for pointing the out, Rod. I suppose the issue is whether that's provided as a system. If someone just bought a motor I expect it would have to have a centrifugal switch just to make sure it would run. Otherwise, I suppose they'd have to provide a switch and that might not work in a number of applications where the motor is a replacement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Delta AP 400 dust collecter with the same type of motor. I popped the cover and I have a 50 ufd capacitor.

I believe some of the submersible pump motors use a remote starter system with the capacitors up on dry land. Of course starting motors under no load like a fan or pump is much easier then high starting torque applications.
    Bill D

I have the Delta AP-400 too, 1hp motor.
    In 2015 the motor stopped starting but would run if you gave it a spin, my cap was intact and was 50mfd. I don't remember the voltage ratings.
    Couldnt find OEM equivalent.
    I used this cap to fix it, picked it because it was cheapest at the time.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBRWUP0...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I had to mount it outside of the switch box because it is physically larger than the OEM part.
    Dont pinch the wires exiting the switch box to tight and you will be fine.
    I used caulk to glue it to the D.C. and insulate the contacts.
    Pretty much any 50mfd with voltage rating >120V should work.

I just looked at my Delta DC.... Different model but the motor looks the same as the picture you have and it is 1 HP 3600 RPM single phase 120 Volt.
    Taking the switch box apart there is a 50 MFD/250 Volt cap....... Yes, it is a running cap rather than a starting cap... That should fix it for you..
    Regards
    Frank Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Evans View Post
    I just looked at my Delta DC.... Different model but the motor looks the same as the picture you have and it is 1 HP 3600 RPM single phase 120 Volt.
    Taking the switch box apart there is a 50 MFD/250 Volt cap....... Yes, it is a running cap rather than a starting cap... That should fix it for you..
    Regards
    Frank Evans
    Sounds like a winner. Note for 120 volt service the cap needs to be rated at least 180 volts, for 240 340 volt rated. Those are bare minumum rating required. I prefer to at least double the rms voltage for a capacitor in ac service. It is fine to use a capacitor rated much higher voltage then the voltage it will see. It causes no problems, just means the insulation is better then needed.
    The MFD has to be close to the needed value but the voltage can be higher.
    Bill D.

Been out of town, so a bit slow to reply. Frank, thanks so much for taking your switch apart! I know that was a bit of work for you, but sounds like it has put me on the track to getting this machine back up and running. I'll pick up a cap this week and let you know how it goes. Bill, thanks for the additional info.

Ken

Frank and all, I picked up a cap with the ratings you provided and dropped it into my dust collector. It worked! The machine started right up, hit and held max rpms. Thanks to all who posted, and especially Frank for digging into his DC.

Ken

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the capacitor should be taken out of the circuit by the centrifugal switch once it gets to 50% to 70% of full speed RPMs. You might check your centrifugal switch and see if it's stuck.