Thread: Base Size for Storage and Clamp Racks

Base Size for Storage and Clamp Racks

I have way too much stuff in my shop, but most of it is all on dollies, so at least it is easy to move out of the way. It has worked out very well in general, but I am trying to gain back even more shop floor space. I have many shop carts that are made with 36" x 18" shelving and they are just too unwieldy to move around a crowded small shop, so I am going to make some multi tier 24" storage carts and see how it works out. I have made many types and sizes of storage carts over the years, and I have come to the conclusion that the sweet spot for cart or dolly size is 24" x 24" with 4 swivel casters. 24" square with 4 casters is small, but still stable. And depending on the items stored, several levels (shelves) allows much more storage per square foot of floor space. The downside to a cart this small is, it is less efficient to arrange things on the smaller areas. There is no design that is ideal for everything, but I find that many things can be stored on a 24" x 24" cart, and it is much easier to move around a small crowded shop. I also plan to make clamp racks and small wood storage carts with this size base. All of my designs use a torsion box base.

Clamp Rack/Saw till/Hand Tool Storage unit. The carcass is made from one 4×8 sheet of ¾ inch plywood. The base and center pieces are 2’x2’ and the sides are 2’x6’. I had lots of scrap pieces of plywood around that I made the drawers, handles and clamp racks out of. Works great, but I will be replacing the casters with bigger wheels soon, this thing is HEAVY when fully loaded.
    Front.jpg

Nice rack. Does it have 2 or 4 swivel casters?

Bill, I just moved into a two car garage from a 12x16 shed and after a few purchases am having the same issue with floor space. One thing I did to get some of it back is build rolling, false bulkheads that are used for wall storage....this one is for my clamps and gives me back the wall space that an Air Handler has robbed my shop of.

Good luck,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webster View Post
    Nice rack. Does it have 2 or 4 swivel casters?
    2 swivel casters. I don't move it very far.
    D1.jpg