Thread: Delta RT 31 (34-889)

Delta RT 31 (34-889)

So I purchased this saw last month,, have not set it up yet because I'm waiting until I finish building my new shop ( build thread to come soon) I powered the saw when I bought it and ran some boards through it. Runs great! My problem is that it is missing the scoring blade saw flange and its an odd size. I've checked ereplacement parts.com with no luck, says its discontinued. Does anyone know where I could get that part for the saw? I really would like to keep it, it's in great shape with 52" unifence and out feed table, cast iron looks brand new. I already found out the arbor is too short to be able to accommodate my dado set, if I can't find the flange for the scoring blade, then I may look for a different saw .

Hi Scott,

I have this saw. I actually took the scoring blade assembly off since I never used it. Without the scoring blade the saw can run a 12" blade which I find much more usable than a scoring blade personally. Only downside is it sticks up an inch when fully lowered.

I have also run my dado stack many times, so I am not sure if you mean the main arbor is too short or if you are referring to the scoring blade arbor.

DW
    DW

Thanks Dustin, yeah i will probably run12 blades but thought it would be nice to have the scoring blade when cutting melamine. My arbor for the main blade is to short for a full 3/4" dado stack to be put on. How do you like the saw? I can't wait to start using it. Do you have the flange for the scoring blade? I'll buy it from you! Haha

There are specialty blades made just for cutting double-sided products such as melamine. Freud, Forrest, Amana and others. I agree that the scoring feature is not used much, other than in full-time wood shops. I have had my sliding table saw for about 7 years and have yet to use the scoring feature. That may change when I begin the kitchen remodeling project later this year.

That looks like a nice saw. I’ve seen the RT40 but not the 31. I assume Brazilian made German designed as well?

If someone will send you one, it can be easily made by any decent machinist. I also found that I could run a 3/4" dado on my Rockwell 12 if I left off the outer flange. Either use only the nut or a blade stiffener which is much thinner. Dado blades have heavy plates so the large flange isn't really needed. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    There are specialty blades made just for cutting double-sided products such as melamine. Freud, Forrest, Amana and others. I agree that the scoring feature is not used much, other than in full-time wood shops. I have had my sliding table saw for about 7 years and have yet to use the scoring feature. That may change when I begin the kitchen remodeling project later this year.
    Yes Mike, I'm aware of those, and they Do work good, but the scoring blade leaves a perfect edge. Im surprised you have a sliding table and have not used it. I have a cabinet shop with a slider and would never cut sheet goods without it. This saw, however, is for my home shop and I don't have quite enough room for a slider. I may just have have a machine shop make one if I can't find otherwise