Thread: First veneer

First veneer

As many of you already know, veneer can really open up some possibilities. I admire a lot of the work many of you do. So, I thought I’d give it a low budget first attempt and see what happens. After a bunch of YouTube videos, I decided on the hot iron method and a small box top. I bought some veneer from Woodcraft.

Well, I think redwood burl (or any burl for that matter) might not have been the best choice for a first attemp, or a hot iron method. The veneer was wavy, and I didn’t do anythig to flatten it. Just slathered on glue (Titebond Original) on both the veneer and substrate (Baltic birch plywood) and waited an hour or so before ironing it. It was interesting. After lifting the iron it looked pretty good, then as it cooled slightly, the crack down the middle appeared right before my eyes. I know there are ways to soften it, but hey, I was going for low cost/low effort.

After additional cooling, a nice air bubble appeared. Oh well. We’re leaning, I said to myself.

So, with learning in mind, it gave me a good subject to try a few repair techniques. Bought a few of those glue needles and some liquid hyde glue. Made a few slices with an exacto knive, attempting to follow some existing grain. Injected the glue, covered it with wax paper, and clamped it down. That seemed to work pretty well.

For the crack, I decided to saturate it with Watco and wet sand some slurry in. Could have probably worked that for a few more grits, but the technique appears to work for future projects.

Was also my first attempt with wipe on poly. I like the finish, but need to work with it a little more to get better at eliminating swirls/wipe marks. It did polish out pretty well using a paper towel and then wax.

Here’s the result:
    462C4135-AE25-49E0-9655-53E2C6DE726C.jpg

Close up of the repaired crack:
    1899062A-C6E7-4E9F-9E99-9EF7277C3C27.jpg

And extended cuts to repair the bubble:
    425DD171-3A68-4AF6-B76D-CF64E627C4B2.jpg

I enjoyed the process, and already planning the next attempt. Not sure I’m anywhere near ready for panels, but glad I gave it a try.

Veneer is indeed a very valuable material and allows "mere mortals" to be able to afford and/or use truly outstanding material in projects that make them special. Very nice job on that box!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like your idea and the veneer looks great. While I am a fan of wipe on poly, I believe I would have used another finish on this job, such as shellac and wax or some oil based varnish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Looks nice Phil. You rattled off several fixes that you accomplished on your first veneer flight.
    Couple of thoughts: if the veneer is very wavy, you will save yourself some heartache by using a veneer softener on it beforehand. It's a apin to have to go through that routine, but pays off in the end making your gluedown go much smoother(pun intended ). Also the wet sanding in defects is another trick you've already picked up.
    Now, go spend a chunk of $$ and buy a veneer pump and bag and you're hooked for life on veneers. You can also build your own pump if you choose.
    Best of luck with your next veneer project......it is addictive!

Jim

Thanks folks! Yes, I knew I should have gone through the softening process...just a few more supplies I didn’t have on hand. And yes, shellac, oil/wax will be my next veneer finish.

To both Jims; I already have that funny feeling that I’m teetering on the edge of a very slippery slope.

This "slippery slope" just takes you through a set of double doors of possibilities!!So....it's a good thing!☺