Thread: Vega Pro 40” poor build quality

Vega Pro 40” poor build quality

My Vega fence ordered from Amazon came recently. Im pretty unhappy with the quality. The aluminum brackets that hold the front rail have been milled poorly (large burrs, sloppy slot for the bolts, almost every edge is a razor). The “T” that locks onto the rail has similar burrs and scratches and a bunch of overspray on the underside as well as in the threads of the micro adjust piece. I contacted Vega and left a message. A quick search of the Amazon reviews shows this an extremely common problem. A friend has a Vega ordered from Rockler a few years ago that had none of these issues. None of the listed problems affects the use of the fence but for $300 it’s pretty frustrating.

2. Let us know if you hear back. I just bought an old unisaw that came with a Vega pro fence and I left a message asking about buying a new front rail but haven't heard back

Blog Entries
    I speak to quality control and customer service with my wallet. I am used to seeing the Vega fence with a fit and finish similar to Woodpecker or JessEm. If the quality is poor and their response is poor, return it. At that price point there are many choices for a tablesaw fence.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yeah, that's disappointing. I bought a Pro 52" through Amazon six or seven years ago at a very good price, far cheaper than any comparable fence. There were a couple of burrs on the underside of the machined T portion of the fence that I had to file smooth, as well as a little overspray. Everything else was fine and I really like the fence; very solid, rarely needs adjustment. But I'm like Glenn. Call them up and see how they respond. If their response isn't satisfactory, return it. I've had no trouble returning sub standard stuff through Amazon.

John

I would try calling, rather than waiting for an email response.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Given the number of flaws, I would just return it. Life is too short to linger on the disappointments.
    Just a Duffer

If you still have it, I'm curious if it was made in China and perhaps the older ones were not???

They don't return calls either and that was years ago.

I've never had a problem reaching Randy at Vega by phone.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quick update, they never returned my calls. I decided to spend some time removing the burrs on all the parts. I installied everything and aligned it with a Digialign digital indicator that slides in the miter slot. I was actually able to get it dead parallel to the miter slot. The indicator can read up to 1/2 a thousandth. I got it to 0 for the length of the slot. I’m well aware that the fence will not stay that perfectly aligned in use but it’s fun to get it that close during setup. Something else is that the fence shows as being absolutely dead flat. The dial indicator reads 0 when you slide it along the entire length. That surprised me. So all in all it appears Vega is having some issues but I think I still got a nice fence.