Thread: Lathe Mobility

Lathe Mobility

I really like the lift lock 'n roll mobile base but shipped it's close to $450. I was contemplating making one but materials come to $200 to $250. Google'n I found a Port-A-Mate PM-2500 that is rated at 650#. It has two foot pedal lifts at one end and two fixed wheels at the other. I'm 99% sure I can buy two of these for around $160 shipped and use only the pedal lifts with the bar that connects them on both ends of my lathe. Anyone try this or see why it won't work?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, we did have to move our clubs Oneway lathe into and out of the demonstrating room every time there was a clubs event, as the building we used was not ours and used for other events.

So in order to keep it easy we added two wheels at the headstock end, sticking out outboard and just clearing the floor, then two handle that could be pulled out and even removed, were used like with a wheelbarrow, lifting that end up would raise the legs off of the floor and we could quickly and easily move the lathe from the storage room into the main room, and back again after the meeting or events, doesn’t get much simpler or lower cost than that.

Moving the banjo and tailstock to the headstock end made it easily lifted by about anyone and moved about, you do need a relatively smooth floor of course to move it around.
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo. I don't have to move my lathe that often but my 8" jointer does sit right behind it. I currently have my lathe on load leveling casters. They move smoothly but I need to get on the ground to turn a wheel to release or engage them and they add about 3" to the height of my lathe. I especially notice on spindle work this 3" could help me - I'll 5'10". I may look into you solution too.

Mike

If you haven't put a shelf or cabinet under your lathe, a lot of people have spoken highly of using the Harbor Freight 500lb. hydraulic lift table for 170 bucks.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Back 1.5 years ago, I posted some renderings of a mobile base I designed, cloning the Lift&Roll.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/group.php?d...hmentid=321710

more renderings are right near that one. Sorry, I never built it (ran out of expendable cash), perhaps someday. If you have cad, I can send the files, and you can one for yourself.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

6. Mike,

I have considered making these as well. I didn't really price anything out but was guesstimating that it would come out around closer to $100-$150 (depending on the type of casters you decided on). Do you happen to have a cost break down of what you have? That may make me look into other avenues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Back 1.5 years ago, I posted some renderings of a mobile base I designed, cloning the Lift&Roll.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/group.php?d...hmentid=321710

more renderings are right near that one. Sorry, I never built it (ran out of expendable cash), perhaps someday. If you have cad, I can send the files, and you can one for yourself.

Mark - I made some crude hand sketches of the same thing. But as noted in my OP I priced out the steel and casters and it came to over $200. Plus fabrication and welding would be required. Then I found the PM-2500 and thought it would do exactly what the lift/lock/roll could do for 1/3rd the cost. Might just go to Woodcraft and look one over. Seems from the comments it may work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Cassinat View Post
    Mike,

I have considered making these as well. I didn't really price anything out but was guesstimating that it would come out around closer to $100-$150 (depending on the type of casters you decided on). Do you happen to have a cost break down of what you have? That may make me look into other avenues as well.

0A0A8958-CD0E-426E-9483-5A1B7D9273BA.png

$157 + tax for steel then add hardware and casters. Results to easily over $200. That’s what attracted me to the PM-2500 solution.

thanks

I bought a new lathe and before i even unpacked it, got a bargain on craigs list for the identical lathe. The used one was already on 3 inch casters when I got it. The casters came in handy to move the lathe for transport, to move it outdoors on nice days for turning, etc. Now it is only a 12 x 33 HF lathe, but I like having it on casters. My old Rockwell 46-525 floor model is not on casters and if turning anything heavy, it would go to the rockwell anyway. I keep the HF lathes set up for turning spindles and repetitive work.

Picked up the mobile bases at Woodcraft today:

02BF5435-D28A-4ADE-AFFC-5DCCAFCC0D9B.jpg

814328E4-D53D-4DCD-A8BC-D2F0A3F9C41A.jpg

Width wise it can be adjusted to a tight fit. I will drill holes in the gray plates for bolts to go thru the lathe foot. It happens that the OEM leveling feet are the same thread size as the outside tapped holes for the feet. Only thing I really don’t like is the color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Looking good Mike. I am curious how easy it is to lift and move with that system.

As an FYI, I decided to get an estimate from my Local Metal shop that I have worked with previously for your cut list. The quote came out to $86 (including tax). So that is where our difference was coming from. However, you now have a solution that didn't require hours of work to complete

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Cassinat View Post
    Looking good Mike. I am curious how easy it is to lift and move with that system.

As an FYI, I decided to get an estimate from my Local Metal shop that I have worked with previously for your cut list. The quote came out to $86 (including tax). So that is where our difference was coming from. However, you now have a solution that didn't require hours of work to complete
    Does to $86 include material? Maybe I should check local welding shops! Although, I figured decent casters would be around $70 with tax so maybe a wash in cost compared to the mobile base.

I did a home made version of the lift lock and roll a couple of years ago for my 3520b. If I am remembering correctly the commercial one was ~$350.00 back then. I spent well over $200.00 on materials and drill bits and a 3/4" ream. I made mine very heavy duty out of fear of under designing and having it fail. All of the round rod was 3/4" and slightly over sized and the new 3/4" bit was slightly undersized. Which is why I had to buy a 3/4" ream. By slightly I am talking thousandths, but it was enough the round rod would not go through the 3/4" drilled holes.

I did the paper design then built a working model for one corner out of wood to test how high it would rise and would it lock in the raised position without dropping the lathe and breaking something. This model would not carry any weight to speak of but gave me confidence in my design. I had never seen the commercial one in person, only pictures.

I cannot imagine making another one but I sure am glad I have this one. I have to move the lathe quite often in my little garage shop. One hand will move the lathe, not easily, but one hand will do the job.

The mobile base foot pedals worked great. Very little effort to lift the lathe. But, the casters that come with this are junk! The tires are very soft material. It moved OK in a straight direction but don't turn easily.