Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Business questions regarding Workmans Comp and Hiring

Seems to me allowing a religion to pay lower taxes and thus have lower bids could be unconstitutional. I under stand the religious take on no gambling and that insurance is a type of gambling. But shouldn't they have to put an equal amount of payroll into something else? Otherwise the government is promoting one religion over another
    A contractor starting out could claim to be a given religon and not have to pay workers comp thus allowing lower bids then his competition. Do you want the government to decide who is truly pious and who is faking it? Ever heard of the Spanish Inquisition?
    Could you pass a college level test about the Bible including spelling and maps? And what language should they test in, which Bible etc. I do not think there are enough Aramaic speakers left to score the written portion.
    Bill D.

I'm not aware of the Amish paying lower taxes than the English.
    The only tax they are exempt from is Social Security, because they don't accept Social Security payments on the backend. They take care of their own.

The Workman's Comp Insurance Board clearly states that the "religion" must be well established, and they have screening for that.
    It wouldn't be possible for a contractor starting out, to make a claim for a bogus religion, to garner such an exemption. These insurance companies aren't stupid.

The Amish fought hard to be exempt from social security taxes, and workmans comp insurance. And, they don't accept payouts from either, on the backend.
    Good luck trying to find English willing to subscribe to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    But does he pay all the taxes, have all the licenses and permits, have the bonding required by the state? Some contractors who skimp in one area skimp in them all. Frankly, he might not win any bids around here. When I got estimates for some trees near buildings and roads to be removed, I called four different out fits. One guy showed up in a twenty year old station wagon with a grimy Mccullough chain saw in the back, he gave me the highest estimate. Another person showed up wearing flip flops and a beer t-shirt and shorts. His truck was new, but I could see that his tools were just thrown in a wooden crate in the back. The one I hired, showed up in a clean late model truck. I could see that his tools were all well organized and also clean (for used tools), he worse a uniform with an embroidered patch with his name and another patch with the name of his company. The first thing he did was to show me his license, insurance certification and worker['s comp. certification. The guy even had a certificate from the Dept of trans about completing a flagging class for contractors. His estimate was the second lowest. There was no reason to even debate which to hire. He job was completed quickly, they cleaned up thoroughly and I had absolutely no complaints.
    If this licensing and bonding is required, then yes he does.
    I don't see your point.
    Are you suggesting only the Amish try and skirt around the law, and not the English?
    The comments here were pointing to the Amish as having some sort of unfair advantage....and I guess I don't see how your story relates....