Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anodized Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    That reason may likely be that the marking/etching can't penetrate the aluminum oxide layer, aka bare aluminum not allowed, which is exactly what you'll get via fiber...
    Apparently, I don't have the fiber option because "I don't need it". I'll change my signature. I assumed it was as simple as changing something in the driver settings, but I was wrong. Wish I had the fiber though, wouldn't be having these issues I'd imagine..
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Apparently, I don't have the fiber option because "I don't need it". I'll change my signature. I assumed it was as simple as changing something in the driver settings, but I was wrong. Wish I had the fiber though, wouldn't be having these issues I'd imagine..
    So is this a brand new machine and your the first user Chase? Or its been in use a number of years and your the new operator?. It would be interesting to know how many hours is on that tube, maybe its getting weak?

If your company has been using these same poles for number of years or have they changed suppliers?

No its not against SC policy to post your real email address, but its not smart as all the scammers pick it up and you will get so many more junk emails.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So is this a brand new machine and your the first user Chase? Or its been in use a number of years and your the new operator?. It would be interesting to know how many hours is on that tube, maybe its getting weak?

If your company has been using these same poles for number of years or have they changed suppliers?

No its not against SC policy to post your real email address, but its not smart as all the scammers pick it up and you will get so many more junk emails.
    Brand new, purchased in June, started running in July of last year. Aside from the VP of purchasing, who only used it when we were building our sliding jig, I'm the only one who operates it. I talked to my boss and he said we have two suppliers for the pipe, and that he sent a piece of one to be tested.
    I'd like to think it's not getting weak, since I'm running it right now on the normal looking pipe, and everything is running smoothly. I've been trying to convince them it's a pipe issue for a while now, maybe they're listening now?
    Although I have to admit, this would all be easier if we would have gotten the Fiber..

Its not a weak tube being that new. My guess is its the coating.

That's what I'm gathering as well. All my other pipe marks fine. I was able to sort it just by looking at it, and it's about $1130 worth of pipe that I cant touch. Shame

If that's all your doing, then your company spent a lot of money to mark pipes. A galvo fiber would have eaten those things up. Probably about 2 seconds a mark, if that long.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    If that's all your doing, then your company spent a lot of money to mark pipes. A galvo fiber would have eaten those things up. Probably about 2 seconds a mark, if that long.
    I've brought that up many times. They were disappointed the CO2 wouldn't mark our SS bases, so I REALLY don't understand why we didn't get a fiber.

People not knowing and not doing the research. Your supervisors saw a Epilog ad, called the company and a salesman sold what you have now. But its Not a M2 but just a standard co2 machine. So how did they mark those poles for the display setups before they had the Laser? I am assuming a local laser company like Gary would have been a whole lot cheaper than buying a machine and hiring someone to run it.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-15-2018 at 8:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    People not knowing and not doing the research. Your supervisors saw a Epilog ad, called the company and a salesman sold what you have now. But its Not a M2 but just a standard co2 machine. So how did they mark those poles for the display setups before they had the Laser?
    I actually spoke to Epilog yesterday, it is a Fusion M2, but not all of them are fiber capable unless we send our machine back. Fusion M2 is just what the series is called apparently, even the tech guy was like, "yea, doesn't make sense to me either" lol

The VP of purchasing is the one that bought it. He was at a trade show for the company, cause we do exhibit pipe and drape, and saw a laser there running. So he brought some pipe to the guy's shop, whoever it was, and had him mark it. Once he saw it could be marked with his CO2, he went to the local retailer and ordered this. We didn't even have an exhaust at first until we had to replace all our lenses and mirrors after like 4 months.

Before the laser, we were using stickers. Which meant no custom logos. It also meant that over time they wore off and could also get stuck on the sliding telescopic units. The laser fixed that and is supposedly saving the company money.

>> I was able to sort it just by looking at it, and it's about $1130 worth of pipe that I cant touch. <<

What about using a laser marking fluid that is intended for aluminum? I don't know how it would work with anodizing but it sounds like your anodizing is super tough. Just a thought. $50 worth of fluid that might save $1130 worth of metal could make you look good. Call Cermark, Thermark, LaserBond, etc., to get their recommendation.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 03-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Gary, I'm sorry, but I didn't receive an email. Here's my personal email: cmuelle1996@gmail.com
    And yes, I am aware how young I am. Chalk it up to naivety if you will.
    Sorry, I just saw this post. I just emailed you with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >> I was able to sort it just by looking at it, and it's about $1130 worth of pipe that I cant touch. <<

What about using a laser marking fluid that is intended for aluminum? I don't know how it would work with anodizing but it sounds like your anodizing is super tough. Just a thought. $50 worth of fluid that might save $1130 worth of metal could make you look good. Call Cermark, Thermark, LaserBond, etc., to get their recommendation.
    THANK YOU. That's exactly what I proposed. They want to avoid extra steps at any and all costs. I'm gonna assume we will send it all back to them for a refund or exchange, but I'm just the guy who lasers things, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Sorry, I just saw this post. I just emailed you with my phone.
    Thanks! Work is pretty busy right now. I'll check it as soon as I can.