Thread: Dallas or Houston area woodworking stores

Dallas or Houston area woodworking stores

My family and I will be travelling through Dallas and Houston on our way to Galveston next week and I was wondering if there are any good/unique woodworking supply stores that would be worth visiting. There's not much around where I live (Topeka, KS) and the only store in Kansas City is Woodcraft so if we stop I'd prefer for it to be something other than a Woodcraft.

Looking for suggestions on stores that would be worth a short visit while we are passing through.

Dallas.jpg Houston.jpg

Right now I'm thinking of hitting one of the Rockler stores in Dallas unless someone says there is someplace more worthy.

Thanks,
    Wes

Could try:
    Wood World (13650 TI Blvd #101, Dallas TX 75243) www . woodworldtx . com. They have excellent supply of hardwoods, some slabs, lots of turning supplies, some tools, etc. They changed ownership a few years ago, I wouldn't have given the previous owners a single finger salute on the way by (they earned it), but the new owner(s) have brought great attitude, service, and selection. Good people! Last trip, they spent 5 minutes trying to find me a couple of extra discounts. Finally gave me another 5% because my dad is retired military. Or in other words, GOOD PEOPLE!! Oops, think I said that already. This is basically at NE corner of Hwy 75 & IH635 (the loop); Rockler store in Richardson TX is ~5-8min north of Wood World. ...Might be worth a stop?

Curly Woods was boutique supplier of figured and tone woods in McKinney; no more brick and mortar, but last I checked he was still selling out of his home 'warehouse'. Take a rag. All I do is drool when I go in.

Plywood Co. of Ft Worth - great source of sheet goods and good low priced hardwoods. Geared towards cabinet builders. North side of Ft Worth, near Meachum Airport. ...Just in case you're driving your semi to the beach??
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-13-2018 at 3:14 PM.

Curly Woods is now McKinney Hardwoods, owner is Mike Mastin. You can check out his website. Depending on your time frame I’m about 10 miles east of McKinney if you want to take a break you’re welcome to swing by. Have a hood trip
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    I go to both Rockler and Woodcraft stores in Houston.

I live in the north side of Metroplex and I have recently started to look for wood that fits my projects. It is really frustrating to me to drive 30 miles to get away from lumber yards to find decent hardwood.

It seems like each month, Rockler and Woodcraft, have certain species of wood on sale. "Sale" is a term that is open to interpretation. If you need, they may have it but is it really a "sale". Regardless of opinion, they have had what I needed at a price that I was happy with.

I also have purchased from Central Hardwoods. In no way are they inexpensive but worthwhile to stop in and check prices. They may have cut-offs, sales, etc of what you are looking for.

There are many in the area depending on how much time you have.

Good luck in your search.

I just visited Hardwood Lumber Co in Dallas for the first time yesterday and had a great experience. They only sell lumber, but had a great selection and the staff was exceedingly helpful.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget Clark's Hardwood Lumber in Houston. They are my favorite source for wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Curly Woods is now McKinney Hardwoods, owner is Mike Mastin. You can check out his website. ....
    Thanks for the added info, Steve. It's been quite a while (5yrs??) since I was in Mr. Mastin's warehouse - - glad to hear he's still in business! I found the perfect pieces of curly cherry there, and the inventory made a huge impression.

I checked his website, and was reminded of his 'walk-in by appointment only' policy, so Wes needs to call ahead. I'd think it IS worth a stop.