Thread: Wood/Burl Gloat

Talking Wood/Burl Gloat

I started turning again about a year and a half ago on a little HF lathe. I hadn’t turned since high school (35 years ago), but quickly fell into a serious committed relationship with the lathe, much to my wife’s dismay (that is until she started receiving “gifts”). Once I had outgrown the lathe and started pining for a larger one I was surprised that the wife was agreeable to the upgrade. In January I ordered a Grizzly G0766 and as I type this I am waiting to hear if it will be available to pick up this week.

Enough of the background, back to the gloat.

A friend at work owns a large piece of property in Southwestern Washington that he grows fir trees on. He has been for the last year clearing some of the other trees to make room to replant the next crop for his kids. I was talking to him one day and told him about my new lathe on order and just said casually that if you cut anything interesting throw it in the back of you truck so I can practice. He said he would keep his eyes open.

Last Thursday he said he would be at his property and if I wanted him to bring back anything. I said, sure, maybe a couple nice burls as a joke.

I get a call from him on Sunday night saying he has a truckload full of wood if I wanted him to drive up and drop it off. We live about 2 hours from each other so I said I would meet him halfway but I would have to get a trailer. Long story short, we ended up making arrangements to transfer at work yesterday. Circumstances changed and I didn't go to work, but told him I would drive in and we could put it in my Jeep. He said, well I don't think it would fit. He said I will come up at lunch to drop it off. I said I have an errand I need to do but should be back at 11.

As I am pulling into my drive he is just leaving, he came and drop some stuff into my backyard, I thanked him and he said it was just a few things. Not sure if they would be of any use to me.

My wife and I got out and went to the side yard to see what it was.

Gift by Scott Ward, on Flickr

I see Cherry, Cedar and...

Back on the wagon I see...
    2018-03-13_10-15-09 by Scott Ward, on Flickr

He said these burls were maple and the bottom he thought was Myrtle. He has had them for many years.

It keeps getting better.

I look back at the big pile and I see this.

Maple burl by Scott Ward, on Flickr

I guess it pays to have friends that own forest land and aren't wood turners!!

2. You’ve got a real friend there! Make him something special out of one of those pieces....he will bless you often when he gets more available wood!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Cool

It's odd in the second picture that he cut down a piece of wood that already has faceplate holes in it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    It's odd in the second picture that he cut down a piece of wood that already has faceplate holes in it!!!
    Well, he did say that his friend has had them for many years..............
    Congrats on your new stash of wood, hopefully your new lathe will arrive soon.

His neighbor had tried to turn a piece a Cascara on a little tiny lathe. Looked like he got to the end grain and gave up. I chucked it up last night and finished it for him.

2018-03-13_01-12-42 by Scott Ward, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Bet that piece'd set off a metal detector like a fire alarm.