Thread: Oak and Mesquite Box

Oak and Mesquite Box

boxeswoods003.jpg

This is one of the first boxes I made a few years ago. I did a series trying different joinery methods. This one is one example of the dovetails I made. I used oak and mesquite. I confess, I used a jig for the dovetails and have since moved on to handwork. I will post some of the hand cut dovetails I’ve made when I finish the new boxes.

boxeswoods002.jpg

The lid is a glue up of three different mesquite pieces with curves floating in a mitered frame. The handmade hinges are made of Lignum Vitae. I used thin strips of maple and walnut as accents in the mitered joints. I used some of the wormy mesquite because it adds an interesting detail to the lid. I shaped the boards to emphasize some flowing organic shapes in the profile of the lid and the “handle” on top is really a knob for opening the box. I used tung oil to finish the box as I really wanted to showcase the natural tones of the woods.

boxeswoods001.jpg
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 03-13-2018 at 1:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    boxeswoods003.jpg

This is one of the first boxes I made a few years ago. I did a series trying different joinery methods. This one is one example of the dovetails I made. I used oak and mesquite. I confess, I used a jig for the dovetails and have since moved on to handwork. I will post some of the hand cut dovetails I’ve made when I finish the new boxes.

boxeswoods002.jpg

The lid is a glue up of three different mesquite pieces with curves floating in a mitered frame. The handmade hinges are made of Lignum Vitae. I used thin strips of maple and walnut as accents in the mitered joints. I used some of the wormy mesquite because it adds an interesting detail to the lid. I shaped the boards to emphasize some flowing organic shapes in the profile of the lid and the “handle” on top is really a knob for opening the box. I used tung oil to finish the box as I really wanted to showcase the natural tones of the woods.

boxeswoods001.jpg
    Very Nice. Kind of makes me think of Texas or the Southwest somewhere.

That's really a beautiful and unique piece of craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind words.
    Ron, I am in Texas! I never thought of it that way but a lot of the Hill Country is oak and mesquite.
    Jon