Thread: Choosing a separator for vacuuming foam

Choosing a separator for vacuuming foam

So we are using our Fein vac to vacuum up tons of packing peanuts and similar EPS foam chips. Of course this fills up the vac quick so I would really like to add a separator to drop the foam straight into a bin+trashbag. The problem is separating large, boyant chips is tricky - they want to stay in the airstream. My first instinct was to go with the DIY Dust Deputy because its the best with wood dust, but I have heard of large+light chips swirling in the cone which would allow the Deputy to clog up fast given how small it is. So maybe just a trashcan lid separator and don't fill it very high? Anyone have any thoughts/experience on separating light, floaty stuff?

How about the trash can lid type, with an appropriate mesh size screen on the intake side of the outlet fitting?

Edit: Even better, install a mesh screen in the trash can about 8-10" below the lid. lengthen the intake fitting to fit through a hole in the mesh. This will keep the foam pellets from clogging the outlet fitting.

Wire mesh for rabbit cages would be about the right size mesh, and sturdy enough to hold its shape when you cut it to fit the can.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-13-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, that is just the kind of answer I needed! Mesh...I should have thought of that. Now its just a matter of finding or building the lid for a 40+gal trash can. Thanks!

A big drum, mesh over the vacuum lines into the drum as it would be possible to run multiple vacuums into the same drum and a bigger pick up line for the foam collection.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Let us know how (if) it works out.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    How about the trash can lid type, with an appropriate mesh size screen on the intake side of the outlet fitting?
    Edit: Even better, install a mesh screen in the trash can about 8-10" below the lid. lengthen the intake fitting to fit through a hole in the mesh. This will keep the foam pellets from clogging the outlet fitting.
    One of my earlier iterations for a separator was a trash can style, with PVC inlets. Into the can with a 45 through the lid, near the edge so the debris swirls a bit. The suction was up through the center (again, PVC), and the lid was sandwiched between plywood disks to allow for attaching the PVC. Inside, covering the suction, was a cylindrical basket I'd made of hardware cloth that was screwed into the underside. It was about 12" tall, and kept larger bits from passing beyond the can.

Looked a bit like this, with the basket covering the center pipe. I may still have the basket here if you need a picture.
    3563-my-version-cyclone-can.jpg

Roy, thanks for the picture. That's a great example of what I was thinking about - a DIY version of this lid for a 44 gallon Brute:
    Brute Lid.jpg
    I even considered mounting a 1 HP blower on its side on top. It would make an awesome and compact 2 stage DC (and allow me to use 4" hose). However, the blower probably wouldn't work as well as sticking with the vacuum since the higher airspeed in the can would just keep more foam in suspension. If the center pipe is 4" and I am using 2.5" vac hose, I may be able to simply screen over the 4" pipe since it will be necking down before the vacuum.

Rick, I will certainly let you know how it works out. Might take a couple months as I have to wait for the ground to thaw (its a long story).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Let us know how (if) it works out.
    So the collector works great. We lined the can with drainage mat so that a small branch of the vac line could hold the trash bag in place. The only problem is, it works so good that p'nuts are quickly backed-up into the hose when the can is full before we even notice a loss in pressure. Great ideas guys - this is helping speed up a time consuming part of this retrofit.
    katie 2.jpgbag vac 2.jpgbefore hose 2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Michaud View Post
    So the collector works great. We lined the can with drainage mat so that a small branch of the vac line could hold the trash bag in place. The only problem is, it works so good that p'nuts are quickly backed-up into the hose when the can is full before we even notice a loss in pressure. Great ideas guys - this is helping speed up a time consuming part of this retrofit.
    katie 2.jpgbag vac 2.jpgbefore hose 2.jpg
    That idea has to be worth at least the $6.00 it takes to become a contributor for a year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute