Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Cyclone Clearview.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    How does my G0766 lathe differ from using a VFD on a Clearvue? My sil wired my lathe to run without 3 phase power and I can control the speed. Are you saying I will not have that option if he installs a VFD on a Clearvue?
    I'm not clear on the question but I think I understand what you mean. If he installs a VFD on a three phase motor you will have full speed control on the CV. Understand that the VFD will need some programming to suit the cyclone motor, it may run out of the box but it will not be ideal.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I believe your SIL hooked your lathe to a single phase circuit, normal in a private home. That power is modified by the VDF (correct to read VFD) into three phase power for the three phase motor in the lathe. If your SIL hooked the lathe to a three phase circuit he did so by only using one of the three phases. If you want your ClearVue to have variable speed you need to get the three phase motor and a VDF (correct to read VFD). You should talk to your SIL and have him explain what he did to power the lathe. That might help you figure out what you need to do to for your cyclone.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 03-25-2018 at 9:43 AM. Reason: VDF to VFD

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I believe your SIL hooked your lathe to a single phase circuit, normal in a private home. That power is modified by the VDF into three phase power for the three phase motor in the lathe. If your SIL hooked the lathe to a three phase circuit he did so by only using one of the three phases. If you want your ClearVue to have variable speed you need to get the three phase motor and a VDF. You should talk to your SIL and have him explain what he did to power the lathe. That might help you figure out what you need to do to for your cyclone.
    The steps are...

Order the Cyclone with a three phase motor

Buy a VFD of your choice to suit the power supply you will be using and the specs of the cyclone motor.

Do not put an isolation switch between the VFD and the cyclone motor because if the power is cut from a running VFD to the motor the VFD will commit suicide and lose all the smoke it holds.

Ignore the lathe installation, it might be a DC motor supplied by an AC power source.
    Chris

The Grizzly description of the lathe says it is a three phase motor with the speed control (VDF) (correct to read VFD) as part of the lathe. Still doesn’t change what is needed for a cyclone though.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 03-25-2018 at 9:44 AM. Reason: VDF to VFD

Peter - VFD - Variable Frequency Drive. Was not sure why you typed VDF.

My opinion - more cost, less reliability, negligible benefit.

Doh!!! I was tired and answering on my cell Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    How does my G0766 lathe differ from using a VFD on a Clearvue? My sil wired my lathe to run without 3 phase power and I can control the speed. Are you saying I will not have that option if he installs a VFD on a Clearvue?
    Lathes that use VFD typically have a three phase motor. The VFD is both creating three phase power from your single phase supply and providing the speed adjustability via the variable frequency that Chris describes. My Stubby is exactly like this and so was the OneWay I had previously.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Mine has never failed to start but it costs more and has benefits I am not going to repeat.
    Chris

A remote was mentioned. You could easily wire this for DC auto starting when a tool is powered on. Also VFD would also easilly allow you keep the DC running for a period of time you set after the tool is powered off or just stay running it it or another tool is powered on. You could set it up so that the DC will not start or it will stop.if your dust sensor detects a full bin of dust. The PLC programming available in a VFD is awesome. Some allow for comm as well with RS485 modbus and others have remote display and control panels.

I dont have a VFD on a DC but have 8 VFDs on other tools and definitely could see some sweet options they could bring a DC setup.

Blog Entries
    Too many unfamiliar terms for me to understand.
    Chris, this quote has me confused. As I understand what you wrote it seems as though without 3 phase power to begin with I will not achieve speed control.
    Would you please explain what you meant with this:

"Using three phase supply as compared to single phase supply is the ultimate as a VFD can be used not to create three phase but to control the speed, mine runs this way because we have three phase connected to the house and workshop."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Please explain why you wrote "less reliability".

A VFD can be used with single phase input. It must be sized correctly but if used it will still provide speed control with a three phase motor. There must be an on off to the circuit supplying the vfd so it doesn't run all the time, but no on off between the VFD and the Motor. The benefit with a curved blade fan is limited as the cfm tops out at a certain amp draw. You will receive some benefit but you must measure the increase in cfm to know what it is and if it is significant. You can slow the fan but a 5 hp system drops cfm pretty quickly so it is unlikely that reducing HZ will still provide adequate air movement relative to the cost. A vfd does slow start which avoids the inrush on start up, and measures the amp draw with various gates open or closed. That information also gives you a clue as to when the filters need cleaning. A three phase motor is generally more efficient and less prone to failure. In my case I run my three phase motor off single phase input to save capacity on my phase perfect. There are reasons to use a vfd other than speed control but there is no free lunch. If you reduce the sound, you reduce the air flow. There is no way to achieve 1500 cfm at a machine and not have the collector sound loud unless it is in a remote area. Dave

Blog Entries
    The lathe setup has me confused as well. What, if anything, did I lose by changing a 3 phase motor to single phase.
    And why can I use a 3 phase motor with single phase power, yet, according to what I've read here, I cannot achieve the same thing with a Clearvue?
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 03-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.

VFD's are available with different single or three phase input and controlled three phase output. Christ has a 3 phase input VFD. Might be a version of one of these. Look down the page and you can see the models with single and three phase inputs.
    http://www.powtran.com/en/productpage24.html