Thread: Looking for opinions on the Grizzly T10097A - 8" Grinder / Sharpener.

Blog Entries

Looking for opinions on the Grizzly T10097A - 8" Grinder / Sharpener.

I need a better tool grinder for my lathe tools.
    Anyone own a Grizzly T10097A - 8" Grinder / Sharpener or have an opinion they'd share with me.
    Seems almost like it's too much tool for the price. Where have they economized it and is it a good unit?
    And would you spend the extra for the T10024 kit to go with it or would you instead buy the Grizzly T10010ANV 10-Inch Wet Grinder Kit, Anniversary Edition for less money and comes with the kit?
    That grinder has 10" wheels and slow rpm.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 03-13-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    And I just noticed that the Grizzly T10010ANV 10-Inch Wet Grinder Kit, Anniversary Edition has twice the hp of the 8".

Blog Entries
    Apparently not a good choice with the membership?

I have the 10 inch wet grinder. It works fine but is slow for reshaping. And I have an unheated shop. So, I can never use it in the winter time - stone will break. Just recently, I moved it into the house and have resigned to using it for standard chisels and knives, which are sharpened less often. If you use it for gouges, the Tormek jig works best with it. I surrendered and bought a low speed (2650 rpm) grinder with CBN wheels and a oneway rest/jig, and added a roborest for good measure. That is the best investment (IMHO). Costly, yes. But then you are set. The wet grinder with its really fine wheel and honing strap does produce a finer edge.

Blog Entries
    Tom, I don't understand your comment on the stone breaking in the winter. Why is that so?

Stone takes a long time to dry (like days). The water will freeze in the stone and break it.