Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you use on your Work Sharp?

So... Next question for my fellow Worksharp-o-philes...

What abrasives do you use and how fine? I was looking for some disks - and I realize I haven't really thought that much about the variety of different grit ratings out there based on the different scales... (Groan, another sharpening rathole..)

For example - the Worksharp Norton P1000 (European scale) is about a 500 grit ANSI - 20 micron... And to me - that seems fairly coarse..

The next step up is their micromesh 6 and 2 micron -That's a huge jump from the 20 micron P1000.... It feels like I need something like a P1500 in there (about halfway between the P1000 and the micromesh...)

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    The next step up is their micromesh 6 and 2 micron -That's a huge jump from the 20 micron P1000.... It feels like I need something like a P1500 in there (about halfway between the P1000 and the micromesh...)
    20 um to 6 um is only a factor of ~3. That's not a big jump for sharpening IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    So... Next question for my fellow Worksharp-o-philes...

What abrasives do you use and how fine? I was looking for some disks - and I realize I haven't really thought that much about the variety of different grit ratings out there based on the different scales... (Groan, another sharpening rathole..)

For example - the Worksharp Norton P1000 (European scale) is about a 500 grit ANSI - 20 micron... And to me - that seems fairly coarse..

You can save yourself a lot of time and effort if you use a coarse grit diamond plate on the WorkSharp to set your primary bevel and then use water stones to finish with a micro-bevel.

There's no need to polish the whole bevel of a chisel - all you need to polish is the about a mm of the edge.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I use a diamond plate and then finish on a 8000 water stone. So I put the primary bevel on with the WorkSharp and then a microbevel with the waterstone. This approach is much faster than changing plates and gives an excellent edge. You can see more details of my approach here.

I buy my diamond plates from eBay or Amazon. Haven't found a lot of difference in them.

Mike
    Agree with Mike..advantage of the WS is SPEED, then do your fine sharpening after that.....
    I got your pics fine, Mike. Thanks
    Jerry