Thread: Best (and cost efficient) product for masking laser projects

Best (and cost efficient) product for masking laser projects

Hello! It always seems to me that Sawmill Creek users are the ones to be out there trying all kinds of products and techniques. When we mask a laser job for color fill or to protect the surface, we have always just used blue painter's tape. However, sometimes, it's a little too sticky and I'm relatively sure it's not the most cost efficient. I'm getting ready to do a leather job and I don't want the sticky to damage the leather. Does anyone have any suggestions for cost-efficient masking? I look at the paper masks available at sign shops and I'm overwhelmed by options/materials and I can't always tell whether they are laserable or the right type of material for what I need.

Thanks for any suggestions!

depending on the leather you might not get tape to stick it very good- As for cost effective, by the sq. foot vinyl sign transfer tape is pretty cheap, and usually comes in 3 grades of sticky, high, medium and low tack. It lasers great, at low power (test first) it will darken slightly so it's good for doing test runs. I use it almost daily to mask Rowmark that I need to laser cut. My BIL engraves dozens of cedar boxes daily, every one gets transfer taped, it's the best tape he's found for soot/sap bleed control and for removing after the fact...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Depending on the leather I would use high tack transfer paper. It is not really high tack when compared to painters tape. You might also consider applying paste floor wax to the leather first as an added precaution. It can be polished or removed with mineral spirits.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I've not tried leather, but I bought a roll of medium tack and works well on everything so far. Zero residue and on leather i'd expect the same, A low tack won't not stick enough, and even medium might not. I think I agree with Mike, high tack and wax for sure.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks all for the suggestions. I haven't ever tried wax on leather before, but I'm going to try a sample today. That's a great idea.

And I'll get some transfer tape. I've been reading about it, but wasn't sure it would work for this purpose. Sounds like it does the job!

Sandi

Even though we're talking "high tack" it may not adhere to wood and leather as well as you expect. Use a squeegee and even a small wallpaper roller to pressure it down on the material.

Be cautious when engraving thin leather. It can turn brittle and crack.

When you use a mask some weeding will be necessary. I use plastic razor blades for this work. Sign suppliers sell them or you can get them on Amazon.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What kind of leather and why the mask, is it just for residue or are you going to color fill the leather.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

8. We have not had good luck masking raw leather, even for cutting. Not sure, maybe it’s oil in the surface of the leather. This has led us away from engraving leather, now if we laser cut leather, we rinse it off with water and a sponge, then while still damp we use a hydraulic press to imprint a design into the leather. Designs are engraved into Delrin with the laser, the Delrin is the die.

Best (and cost efficient) product for masking laser projects ?

'Cost efficient' depends on how you define it, and how you value your own time.
    When masking, I want to be able to put some mask down once, all in one go, and be finished- unless masking something wider than 2 ft roll of app tape can cover.
    That is time-efficient,
    and therefore cost efficient to me,
    and therefore the best for me.

We keep low tack, medium tack,and high tack app tape in varous sized rolls.
    Yes, you might pay $100 for a 2 ft roll, but you save a lot in time and no double- thickness overlaps and poorer cutting.
    We also have 4", 6" 8" & 12" rolls. You just grab what you need for the area needed, and apply it.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Need to color fill!

Transfer tape is a great start. Sometimes on hard-to-stick surfaces like open pore wood, I use clear packaging tape as its high tack sticks better than anything, then roll it in with a rubber roller.

In the case of leather you might want to look into a liquid laser mask. I bought a gallon for my textured laminates, and it works perfectly for textured surfaces. The down side is that its pricey, and takes a while to dry. Its called LaserProtect 5900 by General Chemical corp - http://www.strippablecoating.com
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Here's another vote for high-tack transfer paper on leather. Use a plastic squeegee to get adhesion, and don't forget to cover the underside if it will be seen. I do not use wax or anything that requires additional clean up or treatment.