Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Recommendations

Patrick mentioned a PEC combination square. I agree they are very good. If you want to save some money, go to eBay and search on "PEC blem" and you'll find some sellers who offer the PEC blemished combination squares for very reasonable prices. I haven't bought any of the 12" PEC blems but I have bought several PEC blem double squares and they're excellent. Better than the iGauging one. Maybe better feel than the Starrett.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Head over to Harry J. Epstein and pick up a PEC combination square.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

For 20.00 you can get some very nice solid steel high precision squares made in Europe from Taylor Tool on the ebay sight.

Bob,
    Given that you specifically stated "picture frames" as your main projects I would recommend a 6" double square. I have a Starrett Combo with 12" and 24" blades, it is very nice but overkill and not really suitable for the task you defined. My 6" double is the second most used square in my shop, my Bridge City TS-2 Try Square seems to always be in play. The blem PEC 6" Double is a square you will use on almost every project you tackle.
    Regards - Bill