Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench grinder recommendation

Bench grinder recommendation

Looking to add a bench grinder to do three things; major rehab of old plane and chisels (primary bevel work), regrind primary bevels (example 25 degrees to 20 degrees), and hollow grind. I’ll finish the honing, etc., on stones.

Sounds like variable speed, or slow speed is the way to go, and 8”. There are a lot of these available from JET to all the standard big box brands. Just looking for some real world experience.

Would also be interested in the type of wheel medium(s) I should get to work 01, A2, PMV11.

Would really prefer not to invest in a Tormek or other sharpening system. Just looking to get the grunt work done a bit faster. Suggestions of grinder brands and wheel medium is much appreciated!
    Phil

I don't think there is much practical difference between a 6 inch grinder and an 8 inch grinder as the depth of cut is virtually the same for grinding a bevel on a chisel or plane blade. Also, at the same rpm, the 6 inch grinder is running slower in terms of the speed at the grinding surface as compared to the 8 inch wheel.

I would be concerned with the RPM. I have Craftsman that's over 30 years old. It does most of what I need, particularly when I want to grind something away. But I am always uncomfortable using it for sharpening at 3400 rpm. That said, I believe George Wilson has been using the same grinder for years for all his shop work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I picked up a used Baldor grinder for not much, it has 6" wheels. I was able to put a CBN on it and retain the housings and guard.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Phil, a link to my article on CBN wheels and sharpening, written a few years ago now...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ningSetUp.html

8" half speed 1 hp grinder with 80- and 180 grit CBN wheels, Tormek BGM-100 tool rests ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a Delta 6” grinder, 3750 rpm, with a 100 grit white wheel. I have no problems grinding any of my tools. I use light pressure, take light cuts and monitor the temp of the tool with my fingers.

Having said that, I wish I had an 8” grinder, but not for the usual reasons. The problem is that the motor on this grinder is larger than the wheel. That limits the width of any tool it can sharpen. It works fine for plane irons and chisel or iron up to 4”, but it’s impossible to rig up a jig to sharpen planer or jointer blades. Maybe there are different configurations of motor that would solve this problem, but I haven’t seen any.

This is one of those things that you don't have to stress too much over. Almost any grinder will do, but it is easier not to burn tools on a slow speed grinder. You don't want one with so much runout that it can't be compensated for. An old Baldor like Brian uses is great. But the slow speed grinders from Rinkon or some other manufacturer are also just fine. I've used many and currently have some brand that Woodcraft used to sell before they picked up Rinkon. It has been fine.

How you set it up and how you use it is more important than the type of grinder it is.

Jeff.

I've had the low speed Rikon grinder for a few years and it works well for any sharpening needs that i've had

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Phil, a link to my article on CBN wheels and sharpening, written a few years ago now...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ningSetUp.html

8" half speed 1 hp grinder with 80- and 180 grit CBN wheels, Tormek BGM-100 tool rests ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

Do those CBN wheels dissipate heat as well as everybody "says" they do. I'd like to hear your opinions on that vs. the typical grinding stone/wheel. My 4 grinders are all 10", set up with different wire wheels and stones for different materials. I just picked up an old 1/2 speed Hisey Wolf, and am thinking about putting a CBN wheel on each side of different grits, like your setup, for my turning tools and gouges. I bought the same Tormek setup, but haven't had time to rig it all yet.

Thanks for any input down this path.
    Jeff

I have a Delta variable speed and like it a lot. We use it for sharpening as well as other general duties. The welding area has a full-speed grinder also, but I use the variable for some cleanup jobs when higher speed is undesirable. It's been fine for probably ten years.

Do those CBN wheels dissipate heat as well as everybody "says" they do. I'd like to hear your opinions on that vs. the typical grinding stone/wheel. My 4 grinders are all 10", set up with different wire wheels and stones for different materials. I just picked up an old 1/2 speed Hisey Wolf, and am thinking about putting a CBN wheel on each side of different grits, like your setup, for my turning tools and gouges. I bought the same Tormek setup, but haven't had time to rig it all yet.
    Hi Jeff

The CBN wheels do a great job of keeping the blade cool. It is possible to still burn the steel if you hold it too long and press too hard, however the CBN is an order of magnitude better at preventing this. In general, my blades take a few seconds to grind, and rarely come off the wheel more than luke warm.

What is also important is that the CBN wheel does not wear. This means that the grit remains clean and sharp, and the hollow is smooth and even. This speeds up honing. You can grind to the edge of a blade more safely. And that speeds up honing as well.

I was talking to a professional turner last night. He uses a 180 grit CBN wheel for all his sharpening. Straight off the wheel. Nothing else. He also has a Tormek with a 10" CBN wheel, and uses it dry.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ditto...things stay cool, and grinding is a predictable process with jigs permanently set due to the stability in wheel diameter. We run a low speed grinder, if for no other reason than many CBN wheels cap out at 3000 RPM...the Rikon 1/2 hp is enough to handle a 1" CBN wheel. For a shop with student luthiers, the additional safety seen with CBN versus SG or conventional wheels is one less thing to worry about.

If you're willing to go for used items, you can often find a good deal on a tormek or a veritas mk II. I got my mk II with a couple extra holders and platters for $100 on Kijiji, which is the only reason I have it or I would've gone with a cheaper grinder like yourself. If you do go with a grinder CBN wheels have been highly recommended by everyone I know that upgraded to them, but they definitely are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Jeff

The CBN wheels do a great job of keeping the blade cool.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks, Derek: I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to set a grinder up with one of these, probably the 180 grit to start.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    I've had the low speed Rikon grinder ........ works well for any sharpening needs that i've had
    Me too. Put a cbn wheel on it and Im a happy camper.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”