Thread: Freedom Pens Marine Mom

Freedom Pens Marine Mom

I received this email from a lady who just found the Freedom Pens Project. Her message is special since she has a personal connection to a Service Member deployed in the Middle East. Indirectly the friends and familly members of those who serve find comfort when they are made aware that there are countymen who care about their loved ones.

I'm sure that everone who supports the Freedom Pens Project understands the real meaning of the project and how much it means to those who receive our gifts. Mary's email below has reminded me that there are others who are touched by the Freedom Pens Project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Keith,

Writing you from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Yesterday I went into my local Woodcraft store for some stuff and saw several lathes and pen-turning people working away on Freedom Pens. I'd never heard of the project, but was struck with both the idea and the beauty of the pens. I couldn't stay yesterday, but donated a little cash for some of the pens to find their way overseas, then returned today and made half a dozen.

I'd never made a pen before. Mark, who taught me how to make one, was really patient and great -- I'm not much of a woodworker! But I am really happy with 5 out of 6 of my pens, with the odd one out being "passable" but not as good as the other 5.

My son is Corporal (Name Omitted), based in Falujjah, Iraq, for his second
    deployment. This week I am putting together a big birthday box of cookies, books, and other goodies for him as he's turning 23 and has a platoon to share cookies with. The Woodcraft folks were really kind to let me select a special pen block of lovely ebony, and helped me drill it out and install the tube, then I turned that Black Beauty especially for my son and it's going in his birthday box! (I paid for the ebony and the innards for that one!)

Anyway, it was a great delight to work with other lovely people making pens, and I think it is a really great idea. I love pens and don't love computers...

It's really special to think that many service personnel will each receive a unique, one-of-a-kind, lovingly-made pen, and I hope someday I get to make more of them for our troops!

Thanks for your service, too,

Mary

I remember the lady, Mark (my asst. mgr) did a good job helping to teach her to turn the pens. I'm just sorry I didn't get a pic of her to share with the people here.