Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone besides Festool make a linear sander?

Does anyone besides Festool make a linear sander?

I've tried to find another manufacturer that may offer a more affordable linear sander with no luck (Festool version: https://www.festoolusa.com/products/...30-eq-plus-usa ). I can't find any other sander that behaves like this one, but maybe I'm just not using the right keywords. Does anything else like this exist?

The automotive world has "staight line" sanders which do what you want. However, the ones I've noticed are pneumatic. Do you have a shop compressor?

I do. It's rated at 5.3 SCFM @ 90 PSI, and the few straight line sanders I've looked up just now run at 6 CFM. I'm not sure if my compressor can handle that or if it's close enough to not matter too much. Perhaps I can find a less agressive one that runs with less air flow.

Edit: Ok, I found one rated @ 4 CFM, which would work but one of the main reasons for wanting something like the Festool is the dust extraction which all of these don't seem to have, so maybe any pneumatic sander is out of the running.
    Last edited by Nick Shattuck; 03-12-2018 at 11:25 PM.

That's a linear sander? The Makita description doesn't say that, as best I can see. But it does say "Orbits Per Minute", which sounds a lot like an orbital sander.

The Festool RS2 is an orbital sander, never seen an "in-line" sander for wood.

Ed

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have the Festool shown in the link. It is a linear motion. I like it a lot, but could not use it (or any sander) without the dust collector attached to it.

LS 130 (LS stands for linear sander)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    LS 130 (LS stands for linear sander)
    Or rather, linearschleifer

The Makita above is definiting an orbital sander and the Festool LS130 is definitely the only Linear sander available in NA. Porter Cable might of sold a similar unit in years gone by. I had an LS130 for about 6 years and sold it because of lack of use.

Ed here's the link: https://www.festool.com/Products/Pag...spx?pid=567850

I do the type of sanding evident on the Festool link with a Porter Cable Oscillating Multi-tool. It does not have an orbital motion.

The LS130 is a linear profile sander. It just moves back and forth in a straight line to sand PROFILES.

Porter Cable made one 20 years ago, model 444. I bought an extra from ebay 10 years ago for less than $50.

Thought of some more info. I have one of the automotive type inline air sander. It would run a 5 HP compressor very hard. They are also very long and narrow.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The LS130 is a linear profile sander. It just moves back and forth in a straight line to sand PROFILES.

Porter Cable made one 20 years ago, model 444. I bought an extra from ebay 10 years ago for less than $50.

Thought of some more info. I have one of the automotive type inline air sander. It would run a 5 HP compressor very hard. They are also very long and narrow.
    Awesome, thanks for the tip on the 444. It looks like there are quite a few on ebay.

Nitto makes a straight line back and forth sander. You can get an add on base to shape however you want theve probably been around 30 years or so maybe more ive had one for a long time.

This got me thinking, one of the first sanders I bought over 40 years ago was a Craftsman 1/2 sheet sander that looked similar to the Makita and unless my memory fails me (a frequent occurrence) it had a setting for either orbital or inline. I will have to go find it and look.
    For inline sanding now I have a Hutchins Hustler but your compressor wouldn't be able to keep up with it.