Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a feeder, thinking DC40

Need a feeder, thinking DC40

Looking to buy a feeder for my Felder KF700(finally). I think i might end up getting the tilting bracket for the felder too, but that is another point. First up, i dont have much shaper experience, which is why im buying the feeder. This model by comatic seems to be favorably reviewed, and i was surprised that the pricing of feeders across the board is pretty tight. The DC40 is about $1250 versus the grizzly 4-wheel for $1225. The grizzly doesnt have variable speed or some of the other features of the DC40, which makes the comatic appear to be a steal. My questions are should i look at another model, where do i buy this thing, and do i really need the smart stand? I want the fourth wheel for my shaper and variable speed seems nice, so im kinda set on his, but please feel free to tell me im wrong and should consider model X. Next, looks like shop gear is the only place to buy comatic, is that right? Finally, the smart stand is almost the same price as the feeder. I read there are some cool features included, but thats really more than i need. I am most concerned about positioning the feeder to 90° easily, and i can probably spend more time on the height/angle adjustments using the regular stand. What does the smart stand do that i really need it? I read it has a memory lock to quickly move it out of the way and back into position again, but that seems like a steep price to pay for $950. What stand do they use in the youtube promotional videos? I dont want to think im buying one thing for $1250, and end up with something completely different, because they were actually using the $2200 version in the videos. Thanks ahead of time, looking forward to using the shaper after having it for a few months.

Hi Patrick. Just went through the same debate your having. Posted my questions on the "Felder Owners Group" and had almost the exact questions you have. The consensus was that the smart stand was too much for the tilt-away bracket. Too heavy. I went with the DC40 because it's only $100 more. Make sure you get the tilt bracket with the gas shock. Your back will thank you.

The smart stand has more reach and better adjustment features but IMO not worth the extra cash. Plus I'm pretty sure the FOG guys were right about it being too heavy for the bracket. I was thinking the longer reach would be good to place the feeder over the saw blade if I ever wanted to use it for ripping. Not sure I ever would, but you know how that goes.

Shopgear is where I bought mine. Great to deal with. If/when you order tell them you may want 4 of the 1" wheels also. He sold them to me for 1/2 price ($10 each).

I just got it installed, so no feedback on whether the feeder is better or worse than other feeders, but it looks to be a very popular choice with the professionals. If you are running single phase power it can be easily wired for 120 or 240, or they have a 3 phase option. Same money.

I think your on the right track.

Marty

image.jpg

Get the DC30 and use the saved money for a proper set of wheels that you are going to have to buy anyways. Stock wheels from most sources suck big time. That was also recommended on the FOG thread. Axiom or Western Roller. Shopgear (great service) is where I got my DC30 for the shaper, I moved my Felder F38 onto my AD951 J/P.

Nice, I’m going to do it. Are the stock wheels really unusable? What’s the deal, they don’t grip?

Marty, how much is the gas bracket? I also would like to use the feeder on the saw if possible. With it installed, does it reach from the tilting bracket?

i specifically wanted the four wheels, because it seemed effective to have a wheel on either side of the cutter.

I like the blue ones from western roller. Yes most of the yellow or white tires suck soon after a bit of use.

"i specifically wanted the four wheels, because it seemed effective to have a wheel on either side of the cutter."

Personal, daily experience over the last 8 years dictates otherwise but in the end it's your money, buy what you want. The extra weight can be problematic and the 4 crappy wheels will still need changing in a short period of time and this eliminates the mediocre performance. The typical dealer response is the wheels are glazed and need sanding with 180 grit.

The blue Western Roller are grabier than the yellow WR and some jobs might need them. But the yellow WR are much better than the worthless original equipment tan tires. And they last a lot longer than the blue. WR says the yellow is the biggest seller.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-12-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: forgot my colors

I run 3 wheel feeders on all my stuff, even 9hp shapers with no ill results. Not really sure another wheel would make that much difference.

I have run only 4 wheel feeders for the last 20+ years, but just got a 3 wheel feeder on a used Martin shaper.
    My opinion has been , for the last 20+ years that a 4 wheel unit is better, and feeds better.
    My opinion has RESOUNDINGLY been confirmed!
    Get the four wheel.
    2 wheels either side of the cutter allows you to feed more parts faster and easier, especially small or light parts with virtually no "tip in". Or "tip out".
    There will be a very clean Pertici 8 speed 3 wheel feeder on the market soon that only has 58 actual hours on the clock.

What wheels are on the 3 and 4 wheel feeders Peter. The other major issue with 4 wheelers is most don't do vertical. The DC40 is one of the exceptions.

Patrick, yes you'll want the tilt bracket for your KF, with the gas strut.

I have a 3 wheel feeder which is used for my saw, shaper, and sometimes the jointer.................Regards, Rod.

I am in the 4 wheel camp also. I had one 3 wheel A few years back and did not care for it at all. I have used Western Roller a couple times and not too excited about their wheels. I always thought the stock wheels on the Univer feeders were better and went back to those. I have had a DC 40 on my T26 for a couple years now and the stock (split) wheels on it seem fine.
    All that said I just bought a Festo 3 wheel for my vintage T23. I am hoping it tilts as easy as the DC 40. I might be regretting not going with another DC40.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I have run only 4 wheel feeders for the last 20+ years, but just got a 3 wheel feeder on a used Martin shaper.
    My opinion has been , for the last 20+ years that a 4 wheel unit is better, and feeds better.
    My opinion has RESOUNDINGLY been confirmed!
    Get the four wheel.
    2 wheels either side of the cutter allows you to feed more parts faster and easier, especially small or light parts with virtually no "tip in". Or "tip out".
    There will be a very clean Pertici 8 speed 3 wheel feeder on the market soon that only has 58 actual hours on the clock.
    Peter,
    You going with a Wegoma to replace the Pertici? I like those better than the DC40 but they are sure pricy anymore.

Thanks for the help, just purchased it with the standard stand and four of the skinny wheels. It is nice that they offer it with the option of running off 110v. I always thought it was stupid to have a 220v line for a 1/2hp-1hp motor. I dont have anymore space in my shop panel for another 220v breaker.

Ill try out the stock wheels and see how they do. If they really suck, then ill look into the western roller wheels. I dont get how you can make a crap rubber wheel, but i suppose anything is possible. Rod, does the standard stand allow you to use the feeder on the saw from the tilting bracket? You have a hammer saw/shaper, right? I imagine the dimensions are similar to my old Felder 700 saw/shaper

This might be my ignorance on the subject, but why would less wheels ever be better than more wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Thanks for the help, just purchased it with the standard stand and four of the skinny wheels. It is nice that they offer it with the option of running off 110v. I always thought it was stupid to have a 220v line for a 1/2hp-1hp motor. I dont have anymore space in my shop panel for another 220v breaker.

Ill try out the stock wheels and see how they do. If they really suck, then ill look into the western roller wheels. I dont get how you can make a crap rubber wheel, but i suppose anything is possible. Rod, does the standard stand allow you to use the feeder on the saw from the tilting bracket? You have a hammer saw/shaper, right? I imagine the dimensions are similar to my old Felder 700 saw/shaper

This might be my ignorance on the subject, but why would less wheels ever be better than more wheels?
    Hi, Yes you can use the feeder on the saw with the flip up stand. Be aware of the reach of the feeder as the saw is farther from the rear than the shaper.

I don't know that I ever said less wheels are better, however 3 work fine and the feeder is lighter and smaller, which can be a consideration in some cases.......Regards, Rod.