Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a feeder, thinking DC40

If anybody's interested, the Shopgear part # for the 41" arm is 84B.

Marty

image.jpg

Patrick, does that look better?

Not sure if this post is too late to help the original poster. I have a Felder KF700SP. I recently upgraded from a Maggi Steff 3 wheel on a regular stand to a DC40 on a smart stand. I have the Felder flip bracket and I added a gas strut per the plans on the Felder support site. Works fine and I don't think it's much worse than the 3 wheel standard stand. Also mine came with Poly wheels, the ones that are split so you can span either side of a saw blade. Enquire when ordering. The only issue is you need to carefully align the feeder and stand before lowering. I ended up marking the saw extension table so I know where to align the feeder before lowering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I received the tilt bracket from Felder on saturday, but somehow they sent me the bracket and no gas strut. I had a sinking feeling that i goofed on the order(there site succckkkkksss), but the invoice reads the bracket WITH gas assist for $363. Felder is batting 0 for 2 with me so far. For the cost of their stuff, they are pretty dreadful in the parts and accessories department. Hopefully they get back to me today and send the part to me this week. I suppose there is also the alternative that they credit me $100+/- for the missing parts and i dig up the thread on FOG for DIYing the lift assist. I get the feeder tomorrow, so i can always try lifting and putting it down to see how much it sucks without the assist. That much weight swinging on a long arm is a back accident waiting to happen. Im 30 and fit, but want to avoid a bad day where it tweaks my back lowering it off the table.

Marty, that is perfect. Too bad its another $175 to extend the feeder 4-6".... Not sure im too crazy about spending that much for that little. Not for you to answer specifically, but with the feeder in the original position, you could still use it effectively on the saw, right? You would have to start the cut by 4ish" and the feeder would finish it as you grabbed the next piece to feed in? It seems like it would still work and keep your hands away from the blade while maintaining consistent feed pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    James, I don't know about adding the shock to a non-Felder bracket, but the guys on the Felder group have discussed it. They've posted all the info and parts to add it to a Felder non-shock bracket.

Rod, would you mind measuring the length of the horizontal arm on your machine. Now you got me rethinking about ripping with it. If you have a pic of how you use it to rip, I'd be interested to see that. The center of the shaper and saw arbor is 17" apart on my machine. I think a 36" arm would do the trick for me.

Marty
    Hi Marty, the feeder arm on my feeder is approximately 680mm long. The tilt up bracket moves the center of the vertical column approximately 180 back from the end of the table.

Feeder on Saw.jpg

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I received the tilt bracket from Felder on saturday, but somehow they sent me the bracket and no gas strut. I had a sinking feeling that i goofed on the order(there site succckkkkksss), but the invoice reads the bracket WITH gas assist for $363. Felder is batting 0 for 2 with me so far. For the cost of their stuff, they are pretty dreadful in the parts and accessories department. Hopefully they get back to me today and send the part to me this week. I suppose there is also the alternative that they credit me $100+/- for the missing parts and i dig up the thread on FOG for DIYing the lift assist. I get the feeder tomorrow, so i can always try lifting and putting it down to see how much it sucks without the assist. That much weight swinging on a long arm is a back accident waiting to happen. Im 30 and fit, but want to avoid a bad day where it tweaks my back lowering it off the table.

Marty, that is perfect. Too bad its another $175 to extend the feeder 4-6".... Not sure im too crazy about spending that much for that little. Not for you to answer specifically, but with the feeder in the original position, you could still use it effectively on the saw, right? You would have to start the cut by 4ish" and the feeder would finish it as you grabbed the next piece to feed in? It seems like it would still work and keep your hands away from the blade while maintaining consistent feed pressure.
    Id really try to get the proper one from Felder. I wouldn't want to mess with adding the shock to your bracket. It requires fabbing some parts from a machine shop and sourcing other parts. The Felder one works really well, and took about 30 minutes to install. I'd call Felder and talk to someone. Your right about their website, I don't use it unless I'm pretty sure of the part I need.

I don't know if you could could effectively use it or not. I decided no. I wonder if he would have cut me a deal on the longer arm if I had ordered it that way from the start. After spending so much on Felder stuff, what's another $175 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Marty, the feeder arm on my feeder is approximately 680mm long. The tilt up bracket moves the center of the vertical column approximately 180 back from the end of the table.

Feeder on Saw.jpg

Regards, Rod
    Thanks Rod, I had to pull out my universal tape measure. 680mm is what mine is, 27". Appreciate the help from "The Great White North", Ey!
    Marty

Although this is older thread, I looking for feedback on the comatic DC40 SMART stand and the Felder KF700SP. Is it too heavy even with the gas struct option? Is the SMART stand worth it?

Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Not sure if this post is too late to help the original poster. I have a Felder KF700SP. I recently upgraded from a Maggi Steff 3 wheel on a regular stand to a DC40 on a smart stand. I have the Felder flip bracket and I added a gas strut per the plans on the Felder support site. Works fine and I don't think it's much worse than the 3 wheel standard stand. Also mine came with Poly wheels, the ones that are split so you can span either side of a saw blade. Enquire when ordering. The only issue is you need to carefully align the feeder and stand before lowering. I ended up marking the saw extension table so I know where to align the feeder before lowering.

Chris,

The feeder isnt a feather with the gas strut, so I imagine it would be a bit of a challenge without it. For the most part, the strut really only contributes on the lower half of the swing. If that doesnt make sense, think about it mostly engaging from your shoestrings to about your belly button. After that point, it is kinda all on you to flip it into position. I dont know your personal condition, but my wife would be in for a bit of a challenge to lift it into place. I did expect the gas strut option to take all the effort out of tilting the feeder into place, and it definitely did not.

I dont know if you can use the smart stand on the tilting bracket. The stand alone adds 100lbs, i thought.

The DC40 is a great feeder from my limited experience. I hadnt used a feeder prior to getting this one a year ago, so i appreciate its adjustability and variable speed control.

Thanks Patrick.. An extra 100 lbs would kill the deal for me. I currently own a old comatic 3 wheel feeder that I use on a older powermatic 26 shaper.. It's heavy, does not go vertical, and can be a pain to adjust. I just older a Felder KF 700 with a tilting feeder bracket and the gas struct option for my small shop. I need a better feeder to use with it that's not a pain to adjust although I do not want to kill myself raising and lowering it on the tilting bracket. Any recommendations?

A few reply above, I notice Joe appears to have a Comatic DC40 (Smart Stand) on his KF700... I am curious is this working out or not. Obviously weight is my biggest concern.

Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Peter,
    You going with a Wegoma to replace the Pertici? I like those better than the DC40 but they are sure pricy anymore.
    I know what you mean, I have come close to pulling the trigger on a Wigoma several times, usually after I have to switch from horizontal to vertical and back. But every time I tell myself that it does not do anything my Univer does, except switch planes.

Larry, save a lot of money, skip the Wegoma, get a DC40. Same ease of plane change, and I think 1/2 the price!!!

The Wegoma is a nice feeder but a lot more money. I’ve used both and they function the same. Only bad thing with the DC40 on the T26 shaper you have to push 2 buttons to start it. Wegoma has a totally metal case instead of plastic covers on the DC40. Wegoma has a knob for speed adjustment vs electronic speed adjustment on the DC40. Shop Gear now has the mechanical height readout for the DC40.

if you can find a used Festo they tilt pretty easy. Not quite as functional as The DC40 with the smart stand but not bad. These things are built like a tank and would probably cost 4K if still made. Elu is another good one. I never cared for 3 wheel feeders till I had this one. The wheels are small and spaced close together. Great for running small parts and small panels.

B0F76412-8B5E-4860-A281-C14DFD54B024.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice work on that feeder, Joe. Very neat!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian, I’m a piker on the painting and metal work compared to you and Patrick. My car nut friends would call that a 15 or 20 foot paint job!
    I’m happy though.