Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a feeder, thinking DC40

Hey Patrick, the tilt bracket was right at $400 shipped from Felder. The part # was 430-117. Double check with them though cause they sell different ones for different machines. You definitely want the gas shock. I was sceptical but it is a one handed operation to tilt up and down. Just be sure all the clamps are locked down before tilting. The clamp and gravity hold it in the base.

image.jpg

This is fully extended. The horizontal arm is 28" long. 6-8 more would help.

image.jpg

Dont know why but when I loaded the second picture the first one went sideways. Sorry about the sore neck.

Take some pics and tell us what you think when you get it going. Enjoy!

Marty

Good call on the 4-wheeler. Makes it much easier to run reversed cutters when you can just pivot the feeder without any other adjustments. I think that the skinny split wheel pairs on the DC40 work better than the typical wider oem feed wheel. They seem to have more give, which increases surface area for grip.
    JR

I have a powermatic 4 wheeler I bought new in '97. The original wheels worked ok for the life of them- a mustard yellow rubber I would guess. I then bought a Steff 4 wheel around 2000. Stock wheels were marginal on that. Bought western roller polyurethane I think to replace both. Yellow worked best, the blue are too soft for my liking. Bought the Wegoma about 8 years ago I think- split wheel urethane I am pretty sure- works pretty well, though the vari-feed belt sometimes slips.
    The second Martin came with the stock 3 wheel Pertici. Stock wheels were terrible, though they may have hardened up.
    Took them off, and am running a mix of blue and yellow western rollers wheels- that's what was left in the drawer of the shaper cabinet.
    They work, but what I really dislike about them is the fact that the aluminum hub sits proud of the poly tire by about 1/8-3/16".
    Unfortunately, I didn't see it in time, and I now have a nice "crescent" wore through the Aigner fence anodizing.
    Still ripped a bit over that one.
    Joe, I do not think there is any way I will swing for another Wegoma.
    I just do not see that it is 2 and a 1/2 times the feeder that the Comatic is??
    I could be wrong though.

Marty, that is a huge bummer. It doesnt look like the feeder reaches the saw from your photo. I would need to start the cut for 4-5" and then have the feeder finish it from there. I guess that works, but not ideal. Is there a way to extend that support post?

Sheesh, $400 for a dumb bracket? Did it also take 3-4 months for it to arrive? My 1.25" spindle from them took months.

Patrick, there is a longer arm available for the larger feeders.

Check with your feeder supplier.............Rod.

Patrick, I ordered the feeder and the bracket on the same day. The feeder was on the porch two days later, the bracket took a week. I ordered the the bracket on Felders eshop and lucked out that it was in stock. If they don't have any in the US it could very well take a couple months. You might want to call to order. It is a lot of money, but IMO the only real option.

As far as the reach of the horizontal arm, it's possible that a longer one could be retrofitted. I bet a call to the rep at Shopgear would answer that. I don't know that I would ever use it over the saw blade. Anybody want to comment on that?
    I'm thinking that I'd probably never use the feeder to rip anyway.

Marty

We just put a tilting bracket on our shaper feeder and had to buy the extended arm to reach far enough. 41" long ($288). We don't have a gas strut on our tilting bracket, only a spring that doesn't do much.

Marty, do you know if the gas strut can be added later to a non-Felder bracket? I mean, is it just bolted to something at both ends?

Joe, I do not think there is any way I will swing for another Wegoma.
    I just do not see that it is 2 and a 1/2 times the feeder that the Comatic is??
    I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Peter,
    i don’t think it is worth it. In the end I bought the Comatic for the T26. It functions as well as the Wegoma and the digital speed change is good once you get used to it. My only gripe is having to push 2 buttons to start it. Getting used to that now.

Isn't Wegoma just a Comatic rebadged with a secondary fit and finish step? Dave

I believe it is Dave but never been able to get a straight answer about that. The DC40 and the Wegoma are 2 different animals though. The Wegoma is heavier metal construction and has a Reeves type drive. The Comatic with the DC motor is the coolest running feeder I have used.

I think feeder tires harden up from low usage. The Univer feeder that came with my old T23 shaper were hard as a rock. A while back I was going to put the spare outfeed wheels on my T90 as the originals are wore out. The 15 year old spares ar hard, glazed and slipping badly. I am debating whether to order new ones that might be the same or have these recovered.

Joe, so you are saying the DC40 doesn't activate by the main feeder switch on the Martin? You have to turn the feeder itself on as well each time?
    If so, I don't think I can calculate the labor savings payback time for pushing 1 button vs 2 , to make up the cost differential between the two.
    I think Wegoma, and Martin get a pretty nice chunk of change for the badging and marketing. But.....

At one point, Powermatic offered what I am pretty sure was the exact model as the Wegoma, except for the Wegoma cover plate, and the blue paint-
    pretty sure I foolishly paid too much just to have those. My fault, lesson learned.

Marty, I've used the feeder on the saw a few times.

It's great when you have lots of ripping, absolutely consistent rips..........Regards, Rod.

The reeves drive feeders are copies of the old Elu, still one of the great feeders. Comatic also sold a version to Steff called the Primomatic. Dave

James, I don't know about adding the shock to a non-Felder bracket, but the guys on the Felder group have discussed it. They've posted all the info and parts to add it to a Felder non-shock bracket.

Rod, would you mind measuring the length of the horizontal arm on your machine. Now you got me rethinking about ripping with it. If you have a pic of how you use it to rip, I'd be interested to see that. The center of the shaper and saw arbor is 17" apart on my machine. I think a 36" arm would do the trick for me.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Marty, that is a huge bummer. It doesnt look like the feeder reaches the saw from your photo. I would need to start the cut for 4-5" and then have the feeder finish it from there. I guess that works, but not ideal. Is there a way to extend that support post?

Sheesh, $400 for a dumb bracket? Did it also take 3-4 months for it to arrive? My 1.25" spindle from them took months.
    Patrick, I just called Shopgear and they're selling me the 41" arm from the smart stand. $158 plus $26 shipping. I told him he might be getting another phone call. I didn't ask but wonder if it could have been originally ordered that way for a better price. Anybody need a 28" arm?

Marty