Thread: Cleaning up Dado Cut on End Grain 4/4 Sapele

Cleaning up Dado Cut on End Grain 4/4 Sapele

So I am making a couple of pen boxes with sliding lids. The ends of the boxes are 4/4 Sapele. I was using my dado to remove a 3" x 0.5" section for the lid to slide through (sorry no pictures, I am traveling). Of course the bottom of the cut is uneven from the blade and my technique (I realized that I really need a sled for dado blade). Since this area will be visible when the lid is open, I am trying to decide on the best way to clean it up? I thought about using the router table and a straight bit, but this cut out is on the end grain and I am worried about tear out. Should I just plan on spending some quality time working my way through various grits of sand paper to clean it up?

End grain is always tricky. I've worked with a lot of sapele and what I would do, if I understand your situation correctly, is start by using a paring cut with a 1/2" chisel, to flatten what the dado blade missed. The problem with sanding the dado is you risk sanding away the sides. If you do resort to sandpaper, make a 1/2" piece of wood and adhere sandpaper to only the 1/2" width and work your way through the grits.

My two cents...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

You can use a straight router bit if you support the wood fibers on the back. You can clamp another board or scrap on the back end or use a coping sled to hold it. Sounds like a good job for a router plane but you probably don’t have one.

Could you clean it out half way and flip the piece?

This is all assuming I know what you’re talking about.

What Mike said, except I would clamp a piece of scrap on both the leading and trailing end.

John