Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW735 Byrd Helical: Quality of Results

DW735 Byrd Helical: Quality of Results

A couple of months ago, I installed the Byrd Helix carbide cutter head in my DW735. After running a few dozen board feet of mostly cherry, I am less than impressed with the cut quality. There are at least 5 distinct ridges left across the planed face. The ridges are not the result of chipped blades but clearly caused by cutter heads that are not indexed consistently.

Have others had a similar experience? Are these typical results?

Thanks
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I have two Byrd heads and though neither are in a DW735, I can say that they haven't given me the problem you describe. I might guess either the knives aren't installed correctly or you have a dud. I'd get in touch with Byrd.

Any chance that there is some crud underneath one or more of the cutters? When I rotated the cutters on my J/P some chips got underneath one of them, causing it to protrude a bit higher than its neighbors.

Did you buy the OEM sized version and reinstall the cutters yourself? Maybe some dust/debris got in there and it's as simple (though time consuming) as taking the cutters off, brush the cruds out with a toothbrush, and reinstall to the proper torque. Good luck.

I have one on both my Dewalt 734 and 20" Powermatic. I have not experienced anything like you are describing with either planer. So no the results you are getting would not be typical for me.

Dave

I've had a Byrd head in a DW735 for several years. I have experienced no serious problems.

If you have removed or rotated any of the cutters for some reason, I would double check that they are properly seated (no dust or chips underneath, etc). The cutters have to be perfectly seated or there will be trouble.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 03-12-2018 at 3:20 PM.

I installed one in my 735 a couple of years ago. What size are the ridges? Mine leaves tiny little ridges (220 grit removes them). I did have some issues with cutters not being torqued correctly. I ended up taking them all off an re-installing paying careful attention to their directions and torque specs. I used a cheap torque wrench from HF - maybe not precise, but probably consistent. Seems like I actually backed off on the torque and got better results. I cracked several inserts during my learning curve. Also, make sure the rollers are clean. They can leave indentations (yep, I learnt that). Oh, I use a brush to clean the insert seat and pay very close attention to getting them seated correctly. Watch those fingers too!

I have never gotten the glass smooth surface that a fresh set of knives can deliver. But, the surface I get is perfectly acceptable for me. Heck, I can run wood through that thing in any old direction and it comes out just fine. My knives never seemed to deliver that glass smooth surface for long! I went through a lot of them too.

Anyway, hope you get it worked out. I know how frustrating it is to lay down that kind of dough (and work) and not be thrilled with the results. Several folks suggested the re-torque thing when I did my research. Took me a little effort to get it worked out honestly. To qualify, I am a weekend warrior type and I have rarely needed to rotate to a fresh edge. I think a set of inserts will last me many years.

Tony

There have been reports of some cutters where crud was under the bits. Removing the bits/cutters, cleaning under them with a brush and solvent and then reinstalling them resolved the issue. It's recommended the cutters being reinstalled using a torque wrench to prevent over torqueing which can fracture the brittle carbide cutters. The amount of torque is very small so I bought a special torque wrench just for that purpose.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Agree with what others said. I have one in my Jet jointer and it produces a perfect finish.

installing the carbide cutters by just the handle with torx bit I got ridges then on my second attempt I used a inch pound torque wrench and followed there directions with the screw pulling the carbide into position all was good then with no lines .

I put a Byrd on my jointer some years ago. I was getting less than stellar results until I removed all of the cutters, cleaned and re-torqued all of the cutters. A $20 HF in-lb torque wrench works fine for this.

The portable planer heads don't have as many rows of cutters and accurate torque on the screws is important. If you took the inserts off or rotated them it's important they be torqued about about 43 inch pounds give or take. I think the current spec is 40-45 inch pounds. If it's right out of the box then unfortunately your best course of action would be to remove the cutters and reinstall.

I’ve got one in a 20” jet and still get a fair amount of tearout especially around knots. Just not sure what is typical

As best as can, I followed all of the suggested actions above. All cutters were removed, re-seated and torqued while pulling the cutting tip forward as recommended. Some of the finer ridges went away but there are 3 quite prominent ones with parallel, almost square edges. I removed several cutters again in those tracks but no improvement.

Also, one edge of the planed board is at least 0.007 inches thinner than the opposite edge. The cutters on that side did show evidence of contact with the back of the holder yet there were not similar marks elsewhere on the cutters.

I have called Byrd twice and need to call tomorrow when the expert is scheduled. Including a trip to HF, this has taken at least 4 hours already. I sure hope I do not have to remove the head.

Thanks for the input.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

If these issues started right away, with the new head, then perhaps it is defective. It wasn't clear to me whether this was a recent/new issue or started right away.