Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

12 Mar 2018

Greetings,
    I'm happy to report that I was able to make some really good progress on the last chair repair. I should be able to get the chair finished this week and call this project "finished".
    I twisted my knee about 2 weeks ago while bowling (I bowl on a Tuesday night men's league) and I've been recovering ever since. The LOML ordered me a knee support/sleeve at a local medical supply store and my hope is to get back to bowling soon as I truly enjoy bowling.
    Spent some time Saturday working on hand carving a guitar neck for a Telecaster that I'm in the process of building. The body is done and the neck is getting closer to being done. My next instrument to make for myself is a Octave Mandolin.
    I have some wood turning that I need to get done and my hope is to get back to turning by the end of this month.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I experimented with making my hedge trimmer cordless.

Cord.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I experimented with making my hedge trimmer cordless.

Cord.jpg
    Excellent Jay, success is to be admired............Rod.

I foolishly took Diann to the Home Show and Canada Blooms on the weekend.

I am such an idiot, why would I take her there?

I now have several items added to the "to do" list

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I foolishly took Diann to the Home Show and Canada Blooms on the weekend.

I am such an idiot, why would I take her there?

I now have several items added to the "to do" list
    So....does that mean that it's time to get busy Rod?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    So....does that mean that it's time to get busy Rod?
    Unfortunately Dennis, busy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Fortunately Diann has it all figured out.

Since some is landscaping work, and some is wood working, while the glue is drying I can be outside digging and moving rocks, and when it's raining I can work in the shop, and since I never do anything useful while sleeping I should give up on that and get cracking

Dennis, hope you recover and get back to the lanes in a speedy fashion.

I've been pretty much focusing on some shop improvements that are best completed before my CNC machine arrives. The Mini-split was installed earlier last week, the ceiling is now insulated and I've been slogging through the "not fun" and very dirty job of hanging up a real ceiling without actually dropping everything that's already hanging outside of lighting. I'm pleased with the progress and just to insure that priorities are straight, the sound system really, well...sounds good...with a real ceiling in there. LOL

IMG_0383.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally managed to get a pair of drilled pen blanks glued up, it's been on my ToDo List for better than a month. Finished building my lathe tool rack out of scrap, that's been on the list for a couple of years, stalled since before Christmas. And managed to cut all (?) of the steel tubing for my cyclone build. It was unpacking the chop saw for this wee task that involved my stabbing myself with my knife last weekend that put a kibosh on any accomplishments prior to this Sunday.

Hopefully this coming week will see finish applied to a few pens that are ready for it, my bowling ball either repaired/redrilled (it was shedding chunks tonite), rack & bags installed on my son's motorcycle, finish applied to my lathe drawer cabinet, and the cyclone build welded up. I doubt i can get them all done, not because I don't have the time but because I lack the discipline to stay on task, but if I can get all except one of 'em done, I'll call it a very good week.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    ...I twisted my knee about 2 weeks ago...
    I hate it when that happens! I'm just getting over some random twist about a week ago - I had to wear the knee brace a couple of days. A friend was here yesterday still limping 4 days after a one of his normal and uneventful daily mountain bike rides. Our accountant injured his knee and couldn't even get down the stairs to meet us in his office. A neighbor has lingering knee problems and two others I know just had knee surgery. The older we all get...

I still can't convince my Lovely Bride we should put in an elevator before we "knee-d" it!!

I did little last week: a little sawmilling, moved a little hay, fixed a little hydraulic hose on the mower and mowed a little grass, played a little on the lathe.

Also prepared several hundred pounds of woodturning blanks to take to our club wood auction next week. Helped a turning student get started on her first lidded box. Drove 250 miles to see a woodturning exhibition at a gallary. Tried to repair my favorite pneumatic grease gun - an utter failure, rats. Put a couple of thousand lbs of rock and gravel in place to support a concrete slab for a new porch. Transferred a guard llama to a new home. Spent half of one day working on the beehives. Spent part of another day searching everywhere for a lost lathe tool - it was right on the shelf where it was supposed to be. The brain ages faster than the knees...

JKJ

Not a whole lot going on in the shop these days. Although I did get out there last night to make up a couple of card holders for an exhibition our off road club is attending.

For the most part, I have been working in the basement with the rough in of the walls for our addition. It seems like a common thread of this thread is aging and I am no exception. I did not figure it would take this long to get this done. But the last time I did some of this work, it only took a week. Of course, that was when I was actually doing construction as my day job. And that was 23 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been pretty much focusing on some shop improvements that are best completed before my CNC machine arrives. The Mini-split was installed earlier last week, the ceiling is now insulated and I've been slogging through the "not fun" and very dirty job of hanging up a real ceiling without actually dropping everything that's already hanging outside of lighting. I'm pleased with the progress and just to insure that priorities are straight, the sound system really, well...sounds good...with a real ceiling in there. LOL

IMG_0383.jpg
    It's about time you got that horrible pit cleaned up and straightened out!

Finished up a cutting board rebuild for a good friend of mine:

cutting_board.jpg

Unrelated to woodworking, I also got our Spring tomatoes and peppers in the ground:

garden.jpg

And tidied up the networking closet after AT&T installed Fiber at our house:

network.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Unfortunately Dennis, busy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Fortunately Diann has it all figured out.

Since some is landscaping work, and some is wood working, while the glue is drying I can be outside digging and moving rocks, and when it's raining I can work in the shop, and since I never do anything useful while sleeping I should give up on that and get cracking
    Rod,
    It is possible we are married to the same woman, or at the least "sisters".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    It's about time you got that horrible pit cleaned up and straightened out!
    ROFLOL!!! Yea...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...