Thread: letters and numbers 3d looking

letters and numbers 3d looking

https://youtu.be/pc-uHGVW3Sc machining out large letters and numbers 7/8 thick looks like 3 d
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the difference between "3d looking" and 3-D? Those letters are obviously three dimensional.

these are not 3 d cut, to me 3d cut is the machine going back and forth carving it out, here I cheated used a v90 bit first the a 1/4 end mill to cut it out
    Gives the letter a bolder look more robust 3D
    I could be wrong but I liked it

I think they look fantastic an appreciate the time you took for the video. I always enjoy watching your videos.

I think you did a fine job and relief letters/numbers like those can be both useful and marketable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks everyone, that was my second time to use the full length of the table

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    What is the difference between "3d looking" and 3-D? Those letters are obviously three dimensional.
    Think about a statue, it is machined 360 degrees which is 3D. The letters that Stan machined are called two and a half D in the CNC world.

You are thinking in terms of Vcarve versus Aspire and the difference in toolpaths. I'm thinking in terms of what a customer would think. Only someone who is familiar with cutting by CNC machine would make that distinction. Just ask someone on the street whether those are 3-D letters and see what they say.

Vcarve provides many ways to cut out letters, either individually as you have done, or as part of a solid background.

Those numbers are in fact 3D even though in a CAD/CAM world they would be considered to be made using 2.5D toolpathing. But they are most definitely three dimensional letters. When I chuck up a sharpie in an ER32 collet and draw some lines on a sheet of paper or cardboard, or cut some letters with the dragknife... then THAT is 2D lol

Here is a photo of one of the very first projects I did with my Stinger I. I used Vcarve Pro and a Vcarve toolpath. It really isn't very good. I have learned a lot about masking and painting since then. However, a lot of people have commented on how much they like our "3-D" sign.

DSC_0495.jpg

Looks nice to me!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Nice Job Stan, If I remember correct you have a Online Store you should link it in the video.

I wanted to Chim in on the 3D debate, Keith is dead on with his answer.

A good explaination by ShopBot is Below
    http://www.shopbottools.com/mProducts/3-d_work_v2.htm
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Run time is another factor. You were cut out and done a lot faster than if you used true 3d tool paths with the small bit step overs needed for a good finish.

Anyone who has used a CNC router for any length of time knows the difference between 2.5-D and 3-D cutting. However, nobody else does. What is more, nobody else cares. It is obvious that you can cut out 3-D objects using a 2-D toolpath. The distinction is artificial to most people.

If I were going to cut and sell those letters, I would advertise them as 3-D and I would not be lying.