Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to safely and accurately crosscut 30"?

Wow, so many answers. The solution seems so obvious. You have a track saw. It is made for that application. If you are afraid of it sliding, clamp it down.

If you don't have a longer rail, you can use two dogs to align the track square and use a single clamp with a dog at other end (to subsitute for the end clamp). That would get 36" crosscut. (parf dogs are $15 US per pair, $22 for large from Lee Valley, but any 20mm dowel would work)
    MFT-crosscut.jpg
    Once alignment done remove fence side dog

If you went with a 3 dog setup you can avoid the alignment issues and have a 37" cut:
    MFT-crosscut-2.jpg
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 03-12-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Just a Duffer

Great for panels too long or wide to fit through the MFT. Nice square cuts and no clamps needed.

https://tsoproducts.com/tso-products...de-rail-square

Since you have a few inches to cut off pick one long side of the plywood as your reference. Go in an inch and use a square for a 90 degree cut and clamp the track down and cut. Use that square side and crosscut using the TS fence and rip to width. Everything should be square.
    Don

Hi use your tracksaw or take to a local buddy or shop with a sliding table saw.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post

I considered the tablesaw for a minute but it's way too wide to use a miter gauge, and utilizing the fence wouldn't produce a perpendicular cut to the currently perfectly parallel sides.

There's got to be a simple solution that I'm not thinking of.

The piece is 35"Hx30"W - looking to shorten it to 33"Hx30"W.

Thank you.
    Why are you not getting square cuts with your fence? This thread is "much ado about nothing". Properly adjust your fence and you can make that cross cut all day.

Also, you're too reliant upon the MFT. Set the 35x30" piece on some 2x4s, make your marks, put down your track and make the cut. You're way overthinking this.
    -Lud

This is exactly why I built a LARGE sled for my TS. It can cut something just over 40" wide. This little panel is only about 20" wide.

But you already have a tracksaw. I've cut off plenty of doors with nothing more than a straight edge and circular saw.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    For a 30" crosscut?
    Mine will crosscut 29"
    Delta Long Arm
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi,
    Is there a reason a person couldn't just temporarily hot glue (or double stick tape) a fence at 90 degrees to the underside of the track to basically make it into a T square track?

The aluminum track is as true as true gets. Turn it over, set the temporary fence against it towards the starting end with a combination square.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Great for panels too long or wide to fit through the MFT. Nice square cuts and no clamps needed.

https://tsoproducts.com/tso-products...de-rail-square
    This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

You don't need an MFT to do this, it simply makes repetitive crosscuts and angle cuts easier and faster.

The most common FIRST function of a tracksaw and the 55" track that comes with it is to accurately cross cut 48" plywood. Just lay the track on your cut line or accurately measure the track position and cut it. You don't even need clamps. If you want to get really accurate, use a square to accurately position the track or make story sticks to make it accurately parallel to the other end.

If you were doing dozens, you could buy 4 parf dogs and turn the work the other direction on the MFT and do a dozen in 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    For a 30" crosscut?
    Your right my Dewalt GE maxes at 29". I think the Delta is less.

but you could flip the board I suppose.
    Bill D

Knife the line and then cut with a Disston #8.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    Hi all,

The piece is 35"Hx30"W - looking to shorten it to 33"Hx30"W.

Thank you.
    Did anyone mention this already?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wH36OR4dYM

I tried it in a gathering and was amazed by its accuracy and simplicity. You can find many youtube reviews on this guy. Not cheap....

EDIT: Just realized Peter already shared it.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-12-2018 at 4:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Did anyone mention this already?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wH36OR4dYM

I tried it in a gathering and was amazed by its accuracy and simplicity. You can find many youtube reviews on this guy. Not cheap....

EDIT: Just realized Peter already shared it.

Simon
    I ordered one - thanks for the recommendations. I suppose I'll catch flack from the guy that said I'm too reliant upon my MFT. Oh well.